Gardiner lakes to 60 lake basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Gardiner lakes to 60 lake basin

Post by Wandering Daisy »

This is why you go into Gardnier Basin. I think Gardnier Basin is worth a trip dedicated to this beautiful area only. It is a chore to get there and you need to spend more than one night. Fishing is supposed to be good in the lower lakes but they are not as scenic.

I also saw a lot of netting of fish in 60 Lakes Basin.

View from Lake in upper east basin

View from Lake at 3,400 m
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Gardiner lakes to 60 lake basin

Post by maverick »

You really should spend at least 2 nights exploring (more if possible) Gardiner Basin.
As CG mentioned it is slow going under the col with a lot of rocks, but once one
is further in the basin if is better. My personal preference are the lakes north of
Gardiner Pass leading to Lake 9530 and then next chain of lakes starting with Lake
10574. Don't particularly care for large lakes like Lake 11407.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org