Red Bear, Dead Bear Pilot Program Launched in Yosemite NP

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Red Bear, Dead Bear Pilot Program Launched in Yosemite NP

Post by ERIC »

Red Bear, Dead Bear Pilot Program Launched in Yosemite National Park

Program is aimed at educating visitors about wildlife fatalities

November 16, 2005
For Immediate Release

Yosemite National Park announced the beginning of the pilot project Red Bear, Dead Bear, an educational program designed to inform visitors about the danger that speeding presents for wildlife in the park.

Visitors may see signs with the Red Bear, Dead Bear logo along the Tioga Road. Each sign indicates an area where several bears have been hit, a visual reminder to slow down and be aware of wildlife on roadways.

Every year, several bears, hundreds of deer, and countless other animals are killed while trying to cross park roads. In 2005, over a dozen bears, some cubs, were hit by motor vehicles. Many of these collisions could have been avoided had drivers been obeying posted speed limits.

Please remember that all wildlife is protected in Yosemite National Park. By driving the speed limit you are helping to protect the park and its wildlife.

People who want to learn more about the Red Bear, Dead Bear program can attend the Public Open House in Yosemite Valley on November 30, 2005, or contact the Yosemite National Park media relations office.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

What a great idea! Kind of problem solving and action I'll praise. And I'll bet it will have an effect too.

I drive SR120 through the park several times each summer since it is not only a way to their high country but also the shortest route from where I live in the South Bay to the eastside of the Southern Sierra. Speed limit varies through the park but generally 45 mph is the top speed. Just a few years ago it had been 50 mph. However the powers that be unfortunately decided like most authorities everywhere to use the conventional wisdom that if they post the limit at 50 mph, most people will interpret that as say 60mph. (We are doomed to this idiocy as long as authorities continue to think so!) Now 45mph is reasonable for much of that highway, especially where it has turns and at night. In either case one could safely drive faster, but that would endanger animals coming out of blind locations. There are many stretches where 50 is more appropriate during the day. So I tend to drive 50mph in such areas and 45mph in the turny areas or at night. Of course am among the slower vehicles. There always seem to be many other impatient drivers tailgating me at such places trying to get me to go faster though I just ignore them to give them a bit of appropriate due tortue. There are places to pass and they can have at it at those parts of the highway or I may move into a pullout.

I've been a frequent mountain visitor for all my long adult life and have never hit a deer much less a bear though have had to brake and veer to avoid them a number of times. My perception is there are many animals killed because people drive too fast, don't pay adequate attention, and are too slow to react which of course is a physical thing. In my long years I have also never ever anywhere caused any real accident driving though have been lucky winter driving a few times in slippery snow.

...David