Sunrise Lakes trail in late June

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Brockton
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Sunrise Lakes trail in late June

Post by Brockton »

I am planning a backpacking trip to Yosemite for this summer and I just discovered this web site. What a great resource!
I have reservations to enter from the Tenaya Lake trailhead on June 29 and I am trying to determine the feasibility of doing the Sunrise Lakes trail. Two questions:
1) I know that there is a wide deep ford of the lake outlet, which I would like to avoid. I have seen a few references to fording at the Tenaya Lake inlet but not much detail about it. How difficult is the inlet ford that time of year? Knee deep? Log crossing? etc Or, is there a bridge across Tenaya Creek somewhere upstream of the lake?
2) I will be solo the first night and meeting up with some friends doing the JMT at Sunrise High Sierra Camp. In an average year, how much snow should I expect between Tenaya Lake and Sunrise HSC? (I know snow levels vary year to year - just trying to get a sense of what I'm getting myself into.)

Thanks
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Sunrise Lakes trail in late June

Post by oldranger »

If currrent weather pattern continues you should be ok. Basically if May 1 snow surveys are 80% of normal or less you will be ok. Even with more snow you may be fine. Others with more experience with the ford may be able to give some more detailed parameters. You should have no trouble with snow (but may have some patches if snow is 100% of normal or less on May 1). Just my extrapolations. There are a few other variables but I personally wouldn't be concerned within those snow levels.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Early season expect 50 yards of ford, waist high but slack current - frickin' cold - shrinkage.
By the time you get there, maybe thigh to knee-deep...no big deal with trekking poles.
Mountainman who swims with trout
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

markskor wrote:Early season expect 50 yards of ford, waist high but slack current - frickin' cold - shrinkage.
By the time you get there, maybe thigh to knee-deep...no big deal with trekking poles.
Maybe 50 feet, not 50 yards. Note this is the outlet from Tenaya Lake, not the inlet. It's 100 yards from the parking lot so easy to check out before you start hiking. All sandy bottom, so nothing too tricky.
But if it looks too unpleasant you can walk round from the other end of the lake (east beach parking lot) with no fords of any consequence. But that does add about 3 miles to the hike (assuming you park there or get the shuttle bus).
Brockton
Topix Newbie

Post by Brockton »

Thanks everyone for your replies. It sounds like I should be able to cross at the inlet, if nothing else. The extra mile or so of flat walking along the lake from the inlet end sounds like a nice warm-up for the start of my hike. I won't be in any hurry, as I just have to meet my friends the next day near the Sunrise High Sierra Camp after they have chugged up from Happy Isles. (I can't say that I'll miss that uphill climb from the Valley.)