Little Joe's Pass?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
foweyman
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Little Joe's Pass?

Post by foweyman »

I found a reference that called this route above Lake Reflection in southern Kings Canyon Nat. Park Little Joe's Pass. Is this a common name for this route or is it only used by a few?

A view from near the top of the avy chute looking back at Lake Reflection. South Guard is in the center and Mt. Brewer partly hidden on the right.

Last edited by maverick on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added photo
Fred Weyman
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Little Joe's Pass?

Post by maverick »

Name seems to be used by Bill Finch on this trip http://cvip.fresno.com/~jwf16/hrs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and if you scroll to the bottom off this thread it is briefly discussed at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2689" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also a photo http://sierrahiker.home.comcast.net/~si ... kb207.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Little Joe Pass was named in the 1950's by campers at the Bob Mathias Boys camp. A dozen or so of the kids who went down the pass signed a paper with that declaration before stuffing it in a band-aid can and placing it in a cairn at the top of the pass. I first went over the pass from east to west in the early 1970's on a day hike that started at Lake Reflection, went into the Kern Headwaters (fishing not nearly as good as in the early 60's) and came out over Little Joe. Subsequently, I went up from the west in a trip documented at http://www.sierrahiker.com/KernBasinII/index.html
I came back home the same way. Some kind soul, making the wilderness more pristine for the rest of us, had removed the band-aid can from the cairn, yet it and a few other cairns remained in the area. The last time I used the pass is documented in a trip report found at http://www.sierrahiker.com/ThunderCol/index.html
Last edited by sekihiker on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular

Post by ExploreABitMore »

Haven't heard of this pass before. Could it be used to climb Mt Ericsson instead of say Lucy's Footpass, which sounds kinda nasty? Having a hard time picturing where Little Joe's is on the topo map. Thanks!

EDIT: just saw sekihiker's page and I have a pretty good feel where to go. Looks like it may be worthwhile for Ericsson!
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

granite4brains wrote:Could it be used to climb Mt Ericsson instead of say Lucy's Footpass, which sounds kinda nasty?
Wouldn't an east side approach, like Shepherd Pass, be easier from Ridgecrest? I've always envied folks who could enter on the east side even though I know the going is tough on the first day or two.

Nasty may be an understatement for Lucy's. Lucy and Bolton Brown were really amazing explorers. It's a shame they weren't exploring our mountains a little longer.
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular

sekihiker wrote:
granite4brains wrote:Could it be used to climb Mt Ericsson instead of say Lucy's Footpass, which sounds kinda nasty?
Wouldn't an east side approach, like Shepherd Pass, be easier from Ridgecrest? I've always envied folks who could enter on the east side even though I know the going is tough on the first day or two.
It might be, but I like to mix up the approaches and hit the West side too. Plus I gotta see Lake Reflection - have yet to visit that spot ;-)
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

granite4brains wrote: It might be, but I like to mix up the approaches and hit the West side too. Plus I gotta see Lake Reflection - have yet to visit that spot ;-)
In that case, remember, there are two other, more conventional crossings of the Kings/Kern Divide in the area in case Little Joe doesn't look right; Harrison Pass and Milly's Foot Pass.
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular

sekihiker wrote:
granite4brains wrote: It might be, but I like to mix up the approaches and hit the West side too. Plus I gotta see Lake Reflection - have yet to visit that spot ;-)
In that case, remember, there are two other, more conventional crossings of the Kings/Kern Divide in the area in case Little Joe doesn't look right; Harrison Pass and Milly's Foot Pass.
Thanks sekihiker. Nice to have options. We'll have to see what we're in the mood for once we're there. Now to try and patiently wait until summer.
rlowgren
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by rlowgren »

I'm looking at crossing the KK divide here this summer and am also curious about Little Joe. Little Joe may be only class 2 but looks like a very long, steep slog up talus from L Reflection. From google earth and the topo it looks like Milly's Foot is the better approach but I'm aware that there's some class 3 at the very top. We're a pretty experienced group so the class 3 doesn't really concern me.

Does anyone have some insight between these 2 passes and which one is more enjoyable as long as your comfortable with class 3? I've heard Milly's has endless talus too but from aerials/photos it looks like you can stay on slabs for much of it. The other 2 passes (Lucy's and Harrison) and are too indirect for my route.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Having used both routes, Little Joe (up 1, down 3) and Milly's (up 2, down 1), I would pick Milly's for these reasons:
1. easier approach, thus more enjoyable
2. well established route
3. safer with a group.

The only time I went up Little Joe, I got off route and got too far north. I had to do a little class 3 while correcting my route to the top. I suppose with a GPS, staying on route would not be a problem in this day and age. I would be concerned with dislodging rocks on the steep route up Little Joe which could endanger your group. (All my crossings were solo.)

There are several photos of Milly's Foot Pass online.