Yosemite NP Open House & Public User Capacity Meeting

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Yosemite NP Open House & Public User Capacity Meeting

Post by ERIC »

Yosemite National Park Invites Public to Open House and Public User Capacity Meeting

November 16, 2005
For Immediate Release

The National Park Service welcomes those interested to attend an Open House in Yosemite Valley on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 from 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm in the Visitor Center Auditorium.

Following the Open House from 5:00pm-6:30pm there will be a public meeting to discuss Visitor Experience and Resource Protection (VERP) related issues and provide a User Capacity update. Resource managers and park planning staff will be available to answer questions from the audience.

The public is invited to the Open House to:

* Talk to park staff and listen to presentations given throughout the day
* Access the latest news on various park projects
* Provide feedback on proposed projects and ongoing implementation efforts
* Review design concepts and drawings related to various projects

Projects and topics that will be represented at the open house are:

* Rehabilitation of the Valley Loop Road
* "Red Bear, Dead Bear" Program
* Curry Village Employee Housing
* Utility improvement projects ongoing in Yosemite Valley
* Rehabilitation, Restoration, and Resurfacing of the Glacier Point Road
* Yosemite Valley Visitor Center Exhibit Hall

To learn more about ongoing projects, add your name to the park's planning mailing list and receive the Planning Update newsletter as well as other planning-related notices, or submit your email address to receive Yosemite National Park's periodic electronic newsletter.

* Mail: Superintendent
Attn: Planning Mailing List
National Park Service
P.O. Box 577
Yosemite, CA 95389
* Fax: 209/379-1294
* Email: YOSE_Planning@nps.gov
* Web: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planning

Visitors attending the Open House and/or Public User Capacity Meeting will have the entrance fee waived. If unable to attend, refer to the Yosemite National Park web site for a schedule of future Open House dates.
Rosabella
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Rosabella »

Well, I do wish Washington State was just a little closer to Yosemite. These meetings would be very interesting - at least they are presenting themselves as being open to feedback and comments.

This may not be a very popular notion, but I'd like to see some changes in the Curry Village... as in - eliminate it. I've only stayed in Curry Village twice, but that was enough. I just don't get it... it's not camping - no fires or cooking allowed. Besides, there's the campgrounds or housekeeping for that.

I understand that it was to offer economic housing for people who didn't want or couldn't stay in the Lodge or Ahwahnee, but if that's the case, why not get rid of those "tents" that take up an amazing amount of space on the valley floor, and design and construct an economic housing complex that would be set back and designed to blend into the wall of the valley (i.e. not an "eyesore").

I know that there is a movement to try to restore the valley closer to it's original condition; we'd all like to see that. The facilities in the valley, especially Curry Village, could be a lot more eficient in their use of space.

(now, everyone will probably respond that Curry Village is their favorite place to stay ;) !
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Rosie,
Good point about Curry Village and the famous ghetto tent city- Nothing better than to be packed into a cramped canvass tent, in the heat of summer, with no ventilation, living close enough to your neighbor's tent that you can hear every cough and fart. Yup, that is my brand of a swell camping experience.
I think it goes hand and hand with the Curry ice cream and pizza stand deck as the biggest hypocritical places in the Valley proper. Think about it though...At $60.00 bucks a tent x 900 tents, plus add in the 1000 - 2000 bad pizzas sold per night, and factor in enough ice cream revenues. - well, you then have almost the exact amount to compensate for the large salaries and free housing the fat cat administrators cost to live in the 200 or so private houses that also occupy the Valley floor.
These large Curry revenue stations will never be dropped- they easily pay for the single-family houses that the privileged Yosemite few continue to occupy. (Why is it that there is never a plan that mentions their removal?)
It seems it is only the campsites that suffer, after (of course) these administrators write up another Yosemite plan.
Mountainman who swims with trout