Cabela Chest Waders

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Cabela Chest Waders

Post by maverick »

Does anyone here have any hands on experience with Cabela’s Dry-Plus Breathable
Hunting Waders? I need some for my photography purposes (getting into stream and
lakes).
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Cabela Chest Waders

Post by rlown »

boot foot or sock footed? Neoprene or thin material so you can wear fleece under them?

Mav, can you point to what you have in mind from cabelas catalog? they have like 30 pages of waders. I have some lightweight sock foot waders that we've carried on trips. Yet to use them as the water was warm enough in Sept to just wade in my Teva's with wool socks on.

If I know your goal in terms of weight/price/etc, I have multiple hunting/fishing partners who can give a pretty good recommendation. I have 4 pairs of waders for various uses.

Russ
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Not the hunting version Mav, but I do have their Dry Plus Premium stockingfoot waders and I like them alot. There not neoprene, so I typically wear something underneath like fleece pants or thermals. I actually use them more often to surf fish than I do in freshwater. I dont bring em backpacking due to bulk.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

My experience with Cabelas waders is that on the stockingfoot waders, the ankles are too small. This makes them hard to get on and off. I wear a size 11 shoe and even the extra large were a pain to get on and off. I now use Frogg Toggs. They aren't much more and slip on and off easier. I have a new pair of Reddington that I picked up and they also go on and off easy. I don't think I'll ever buy the Cabelas again only for that reason. If you have a Cabelas store nearby and can try them on, then do that but I wouldn't order them.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks everyone for the info. These were the ones someone recommended to me:
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... tId=731363" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After seeing what 87TT wrote I think my best bet will be to try them on and
see how they fit and feel.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

i think those weigh about 8lbs. pretty much the exact copy of what I hunt ducks in.

The weight is all in the boots. If you go stockingfoot with some large size crocks or better Tevas, your weight will go down immensely.

My Hodgman ultralights weigh 2.5 lbs and the tevas weigh another 2lbs so that works well. I Also have a pair of fishing boots for stockingfoot waders which would still bring the weight under the 8lbs by a lot.
87TT
Topix Regular

Post by 87TT »

Yeah, stocking foot is the only way to go. I don't like to hike any distance in boot foot waders. No ankle support and slop all over. And like rlown said, they are way heavy.
larree0
Topix Acquainted

Post by larree0 »

These Cabelas 'convertible ' waders weigh 32 oz: IK-831556 (their item #). I've used several pairs of them for F/F. They're very versatile, I even wore them inside a removable cast with no problems. One issue I've noticed through the years, after about 150 days use they tend to spring a small leak somewhere in the booty section; on extended trips, I usually bring a small tube of Aqua-seal.

btw, Cabelas no longer has a simple 'no questions asked' policy for wader replacement , after 1 year, you need a return #, not sure how much trouble that is.
k9mark
Topix Regular

Post by k9mark »

Here is some interesting reading for waders this year. http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-r ... -bootfoots" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

That was a good read! But did you see those prices????

you could buy 3-5 pairs of other brands and still be happy.