5-7 night trip from TM to the valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 5-7 night trip from TM to the valley

Post by SweetSierra »

Clover Meadow was the start of the loop over Fernandez Pass, into the Red Peak Pass area, over Isberg Pass, and back.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Dreamer

Sweet Sierra's idea is a great one! More specifically a loop trip starting From the Fernandez Pass trailhead over Fernandez Pass, then to Red Peak Pass and out over Post Peak Pass is a comfortable trip for the longest window you have (or reverse). A few caveats are in order though. 1. Getting your permit at the visitor center in Oakhurst--make sure that a person who can issue the permit will be on duty or you will have to detour to Northfork to get your permit. I would not count on the permit office at Clover meadow being open after labor day and it is a little out of your way. 2. The closest store/restaurant with really limited options is at Beasore meadows close to an hours drive from trailhead. 3. Closest accomodations full service community is Oakhurst/Bass Lake. 4. Trailheads are about 7,000 ft elevation so you will have 3,000+/- ft climb facing you in the first day and a half. Spending one night at TH should be sufficient for acclimation. 5. The Granite Creek drainage is s. facing and water sources will probably be limited to lakes in September this year 6. The last mile to the TH is a bit rough but can be negotiated by standard vehicle if you drive carefully.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sure the Fernandez option is good, but the OP said he needs to be able to get back
to his car which this option definitely does not have.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Maverick

They drive their car to Fernandez Pass TH and start and finish there. (no shuttle issue but much longer drive).

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Quartz MT trailhead loop –
Chiquito Lake – Givens – Johnson - Royal Arch - Buena Vista – Hoover – Breeze – Chain - Chiquito...
Sort of reminds me of a fishing trip made last May.
I wonder what ever happened to that Trail Report...Mike?
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Your right MIke! Was thinking that the OP could not start from the west since he
mentioned not being able to start from the Valley .
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
dreamer1
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by dreamer1 »

Thanks guys for the most helpful suggestions -- much appreciated. I think I like
Oleander's idea of a one-way hike from Tuolumne Meadows southbound on the JMT, exiting at Agnew Meadows best, but will look at my maps and read up more carefully.

Saltygod: My reason for acclimating at TM for 2 days is that form my past experiences, we find it tough hiking out the first day after flying in from sea level - even without much on our backs. I recall puffing away pretty hard on a dayhike From TM to Parker Pass for instance. Plus that would mean leaving with 2 more days' worth of food and fear the total weight would be a bit much starting off.

Thanks again - great to feel that passion!