Hiking Pants

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Hiking Pants

Post by oldhikerQ »

I'm looking for suggestions for hiking pants. I want something light with some flex that will dry quickly. I have backpacked for years in Mountain Hardware hiking shorts with the comfy waistband. Now, however, I find that I am cold more often than not and am considering switching to pants. I'm not really interested in convertibles based on casual reviews, unless someone has had some great experiences with one brand. would appreciate any ideas that the community can offer.
Many thanks!
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Hiking Pants

Post by The Other Tom »

I usually get what's on sale from REI or Sierra Trading post. In general I get the "nylon" type (not cotton) cargo convertible pants, but rarely zip the legs off. I find the cargo pockets to come in handy, not all have them. A velcro closure on the pockets seems to work best. I tried the ones with the mesh liner but didn't like them (too much chaffing). Others may have different experiences. Also, I try to get ones with a belt as opposed to trying to make a belt I already have fit in the loops.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Try Rail Riders Eco Mesh. They aren't cheap but are popular with the PCT hikers.

I took 2 pairs last year for 111 days and the only holes they got were from major falls or a snag on some rebar. The waist has part elastic fit which was great because they fit me when I started the hike fat and were comfortable and when I lost 40 pounds I still didn't need to use a belt. I wear a XXL and the weight on that size is 12 ounces.

They have a zipper running the length of your leg that when unzipped expands open with a mesh insert. I rarely thought to open it but when I did I loved it. Helped allot when it was hot.

I've tried allot of different pants and these are the best yet.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I just don't like "hiking" pants. They dont fit well.

My go to pants are a lightweight wool poly blend pant that seem cool when warm, warm when cool, and dry fairly quickly. They are tough and cheap at the goodwill. When I wear those I do carry "rain pants" so a few extra ounces in my pack. They have been beat on over the years and are good as new.

I also have a couple pair of "coolmax" pants I got a kohls for like 20$ each. They are wool/poly also i think, buyt a little thinner than my go to pants. I think they are golf pants, but again fit good, tough, are comfortable, cheap, warmer/cooler than nylon hiking pants.

I have a pair of lightweight softshell REI pants with zip off legs I use sometimes, but they are not near as comfortable. I think I have used them once. I paid around 90$ for them......waste of money
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

I prefer to hike in my running shorts as long as I can. I really don't understand those that hike in long pants and a rain jacket. I guess I sweat too much. When it does get colder, I will go to a pair of tights, which tend to breather better. I recently bought a pair of REI Airflyte pants, which are wind proof, light weight, and stretch well. Not quite tights. I've used them to bike in cold weather, and they work well.
Colter
Topix Acquainted

Post by Colter »

Mountain Hardwear Mesa are the best that I've used. For me they fit well and last a long time.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

I hike in Railriders Adventure Khaki Pants. They are light weight and dry pretty quick nylon pants. I like hiking in long pants for sun protection and to protect my lower legs from scratchy flora.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Of course I hike in pants for sun and bug protection but I also cannot remember the last time I wore a pair of shorts. For no reason that I can think of either. :-k
Maddog61
Topix Acquainted

Post by Maddog61 »

I'll second the Mtn. Hardware Mesa pants. Built in belt, super comfy fleece lined waist. Very lightweight & cool, yet durable. They have a handy zippered pocket on the right thigh that I keep my camera in.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Thanks to everyone for the replies. One of my hiking group recommended Arc'Teryx pants, but their prices are stratospheric. Hence, the question posed to the HST community.
I think that I'll start with MH, as I have had very good luck with their hiking shorts. I hadn't thought about the RailRiders pants, as they had fallen off of my radar. I'll check those also.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost