Wet Socks

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Wet Socks

Post by maverick »

What's your method with dealing with wet socks and how do you get them dry?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Wet Socks

Post by Rockchucker »

If possible I prefer sundried socks, helps to kill bacteria. Other wise it depends if I can have a fire.
I'm no suture for my future.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I change socks. :D

I carry 3 pairs of socks out there so it would have to be a pretty extreme circumstance to have all my socks soaked at the same time.
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

Depends on the situation. I only ever wear merino wool socks with no liner and I usually have two pairs with me on a longer trip. If my socks get wet from a creek crossing slip or because I wash them, I wring them out well and, if it is not raining, I'll hang them on the outside of my pack and then in the sun when I get to camp. At night I will hang them in the tent. If I only have one pair, wring them and wear them
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Wringing the wetness out of them will stretch and deform them. So gently squeeze them to get them to a damp stage. Spare socks are a necessity. If they don't dry overnight tie them to the outside of my pack the following morning. Wool dries pretty quickly and if not 100%;they are still warm.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Rockchucker wrote:If possible I prefer sundried socks, helps to kill bacteria. Other wise it depends if I can have a fire.
Got mine too close to a fire one night....oops :crybaby: Won't make that mistake anymore. Now I try to wash while there's still ~ 1-2 hours of sunlight and lay them on a rock, facing the sun, to dry. I wear wool socks and wring them out prior to drying.
Last edited by The Other Tom on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

I also wear merino wool with no liner, and I typically carry 2 to 3 pair depending upon the duration of the trip. I have carried up to 5 pair of socks in the past if we were going in in the early season and the trails were to be full of runoff, but thats not typical. If wet and the weathers good, then they sun dry around camp or on the outside of my pack if moving. If the weathers bad, I press the moisture out the best I can and wear another pair. if all are wet, then I use the driest pair I have. Not much else you can do.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Drying socks...I thought that's what hiking poles were for.
Just stick poles in ground, slip socks over handles.

Added benefit is that no critters can nibble on the cork overnight as deep inside socks.
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Whatever you do with your socks; Don't ever let Mark take off his shoes in your back seat after the walk out. :eek:
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I carry 3 pair of socks and wash/roate two day. They dry hanging on the back of my pack during the day. I keep one pair for sleeping only (and as emergency). I am really fussy about keeping the inside of my sleeping bag clean so I never wear hiking clothes inside my bag and take a bath every day after the hike. When I hike the coast, I just wear wet socks because after about 5 days everything is wet anyway. All my socks are Smartwool. I wring the heck out of them and it does not seem to distort the shape much.