Kerrick / Matterhorn Canyon Loop (Cross Country Routes)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
phenocryst
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Kerrick / Matterhorn Canyon Loop (Cross Country Routes)

Post by phenocryst »

I concur with oldranger that late summer/Sept is the time to be in northern Yosemite. The last week of Aug there were no mosquitoes and water availability was pretty good even in a dry year. A couple of smaller streams shown on the topo were dry or nearly so, notably the creek draining Talullah lk, but Return, Matterhorn, Wilson and Piute creeks were all running well for late season. I will note that there had been quite a lot of recent rain.

Our route on Wilson creek was the same as Wandering Daisy's. There was no obvious trail but routefinding was easy, thru lodgepole woods near the creek, first 1/3 mi or so, and then n/e over open slabs leading to a wide pass east of Tallulah lk. Then west over wide open sand and meadow, easy going downstream to the meadow above Doe, and a nice trail down the n/e side of the creek. At the outlet we stayed to the right, then descended toward Camp ck, crossing probably pretty close to the bottom of the slope and contouring north. We came out east of the knob between the confluences of Camp and Big Mdw cks with Piute ck.

There isn't much to stress about here in terms of routefinding. The northern Yosemite high country is wonderfully easy and forgiving for the cross country traveler. Carry and use a topo, but let the mountains show you the way. McClure tells us "one going over this country must travel more or less by the great canyons, which correspond, in a rough way, to the streets of a mighty city". The great canyons are expressions of the overall jointing pattern in Yosemite granite that gives us wonderful seams, ramps and stairways to guide us from street to mighty street (and sometimes fissures and cliffs that stop us). There are meadows and open granite galore offering easy strolling and views of the surrounding terrain. If you can use a topo map you should have no trouble finding your way.

I too used McClure's account as both inspiration and instruction for my first visit here. Sometime I would like to try his entire route beyond Rock Island lk via Kerrick, Thompson and canyons north of the Sierra crest to "Jack Main's Canyon". His party took (but didn't necessarily ride) horses all the way (note that as they ascended the ramp out of Slide canyon, "We led our horses up this place, as is always my custom in a rough country").
mshields
Topix Acquainted

Post by mshields »

phenocryst wrote: The northern Yosemite high country is wonderfully easy and forgiving for the cross country traveler. Carry and use a topo, but let the mountains show you the way. McClure tells us "one going over this country must travel more or less by the great canyons, which correspond, in a rough way, to the streets of a mighty city". The great canyons are expressions of the overall jointing pattern in Yosemite granite that gives us wonderful seams, ramps and stairways to guide us from street to mighty street (and sometimes fissures and cliffs that stop us). There are meadows and open granite galore offering easy strolling and views of the surrounding terrain. If you can use a topo map you should have no trouble finding your way.
Phenocryst,

=D> Very well put ! (both yourself and McClure) Thanks again for your thoughts and input.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Sorry I came into this conversation a bit late, but I can answer some questions that have been raised here. First would be "Tower Pass" between Mary and Tower lakes. It is absolutely no problem. Stay along the trees in Old Rangers photo. I took my wife thru there no problem and she hates talus! I have skied through the pass just north of Tower Peak (east of the Pass) with no difficulties.

Crazy Mule Gulch is fantastic, and I found a way thru the cliffs into Slide last summer. A weakness about .5 miles east of the Crazy Mule Creek, a tiny bit of un-exposed class three. But there is only one way thru, so you have to hit it right! One may be able to follow the creek all the way down, but I haven't tested it.

Regarding the Bath Mountain ramp, you shouldn't have too much problem finding it from the top, but it is way more intimidating looking down it then up! (easy but visually exposed slabs)

I've been to Tullulah via Doe and upper Camp Creek, personally I prefer the latter as I find it more scenic and less convoluted.

Lastly, I was thru the entire Wilson Canyon from Doghead last summer, absolutely stunning in the upper reaches. No problem dropping into the PCT though it is forested. Found some old Calvery blazes in there but no trail. From Tallulah I've also gone via Shamrock Lakes; pretty straight forward.

Hope this helps. I could probably post photos if you are interested.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

mshields wrote:The Sierra's Are Game Over For Me This Year :crybaby:

Therefore I am occupying myself with the next best thing; planning next year's trip =D>

Currently I have my sites set on the Kerrick/Matterhorn Canyon Loop in Northern Yosemite, but am interested in mixing it up a bit with some cross country travel. I have read several posts by HST members and come up with a couple good suggestions (thanks for the posts) If anyone has additional ideas or suggestions I would love to hear them!

- Level 3 Backpacking Experience
- Class 2 Terrain
- Main Interests: Photography/Great Campsites/Fishing

Thanks
I did that loop ten years ago and just loved it - it was just beautiful. I especially liked Slide Canyon - the views from Burro and Mule Passes were wonderful. Peeler, Benson, and Smedberg Lakes were really pretty, and Benson Lake is low enough elevation that you can swim in it in the summer without going numb. After that trip I decided I want to to go up to Horse Creek Pass and then on up to the summit of Matterhorn, which I finally did a couple years ago. I must say that I enjoyed the Kerrick/Matterhorn Loop backpacking trip better than the Matterhorn Peak death march day hike. Anyway, going over Horse Creek Pass wasn't very difficult if you decide to do that - I went over late in the season; so I was able to cross near the pass where there was a use trail and no snow.

Eventually, I'm going to go back to that area again.
mshields
Topix Acquainted

Post by mshields »

KathyW wrote: I did that loop ten years ago and just loved it - it was just beautiful. I especially liked Slide Canyon
John Dittli wrote: Hope this helps. I could probably post photos if you are interested.
John and Kathy,

Thanks for the replies; it was a pleasant surprise to see a couple additional posts to the thread!

A couple quick comments/questions:

1) I am definitely interested in seeing some pictures John; thanks for the offer.

2) You mentioned that you preferred Tallulah Via Camp Creek rather than Doe, how technical is this route compared to the Doe approach?

3) I have posted the loop I am planning below; if anyone has any particular recommendations and/or favorite campsites, input would be greatly appreciated. I also plan on integrating some daytime hikes from some of the campsites; recommendations in this area would also be nice.

Thanks for the feedback
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Great trip ideas.
Just one comment tho....how anyone can say the Kerrick-Matterhorn loop is mundane is beyond me!:) I too did a bit of off trail on that loop, but even if I hadn't....coming upon Matterhorn from Benson was just sublime! And....now I am going to mix my passes up...but the first one that crosses right at the base of the Sawtooths was unbelievable beauty...I camped right over the pass and couldn't get enuf of the Sawtooths overhead. And then the next pass....one is Burro and one is ?...anyway, as it wound around over the top and thru that tiny meadow at the top...I expected to see dinosaurs come wandering around the corner any minute....laugh! Love that area!:) Have fun.....
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

If your main interests are as you state "camping, photography, fishing", you picked a great line. For your first xc trip, it should be challenging. Not in-so-much that it is technical, but convoluted, forested terrain.

You will find that in places, the line you have drawn on your map will not be followable and that you will be altering your planned travel route somewhat regularly. For instance right off the bat, traversing from Rock Island Pass to RI Lake you will find is not just a nice walk thru alpslopes and granite slabs, but rather a timbered slope with lots of small rock bands that impede progress.

You will find the same thing bellow and above Doe Lake should you go that way. This is not to deter you in any way, just saying that northern Yosemite XC can be much different than the southern Sierra.

Camp Creek is not technical at all, it just has less convoluted terrain then Doe Lake which while pretty, limited. You just need to go up toward the head of it before turning due south over the Tallulah pass.

Also, regarding the climbers route in Little Slide; it's much easier finding going up than down. And definitely don't expect to follow that ridge above Maltby Lake. The first time I went up that route I ended up the most cliffed out I've ever been and had to backtrack down the canyon a half mile before I could get off the thing! Stay in the drainage to the east!

Without getting into too much detail as that may spoil the adventure eh? Here's a few pics. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask!
1008_886-1_D1L.jpg
1008_896_D1L.jpg
1008_909_D1A.jpg
1209_ 1364_D1LP.jpg
1209_ 1404_D1L.jpg
1209_ 1439_D1LP 1.jpg
1008_901_D1L.jpg
1209_ 1397_D1LP 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

BTW, the Big Meadows route that WD mentioned is also really nice, but don't miss lower Slide...
1209_ 1433_D1LP.jpg
mshields
Topix Acquainted

Post by mshields »

John Dittli wrote:If your main interests are as you state "camping, photography, fishing", you picked a great line. For your first xc trip, it should be challenging. Not in-so-much that it is technical, but convoluted, forested terrain.
Without getting into too much detail as that may spoil the adventure eh? Here's a few pics. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask!
John,

Thanks for the encouragement and words of wisdom; I look forward to the challenge! All things considered, one of the best things going for me is that I plan on spending a week on the loop, which will allot me some additional time on the learning curve. Also, given your advice on LSC + input from others, I think I will take the clockwise route (up LSC and up Bath Ramp) to help improve my odds.

BTW - Fantastic Pics!!!!! They just pumped me up even more!!!
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BigMan »

mshields wrote:
KathyW wrote: I did that loop ten years ago and just loved it - it was just beautiful. I especially liked Slide Canyon
John Dittli wrote: Hope this helps. I could probably post photos if you are interested.
John and Kathy,

Thanks for the replies; it was a pleasant surprise to see a couple additional posts to the thread!

A couple quick comments/questions:

1) I am definitely interested in seeing some pictures John; thanks for the offer.

2) You mentioned that you preferred Tallulah Via Camp Creek rather than Doe, how technical is this route compared to the Doe approach?

3) I have posted the loop I am planning below; if anyone has any particular recommendations and/or favorite campsites, input would be greatly appreciated. I also plan on integrating some daytime hikes from some of the campsites; recommendations in this area would also be nice.

Thanks for the feedback
How was your trip mshields? :confused:
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.