Sierra Water

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Sierra Water

Post by oldranger »

Rogue's first paragraph pretty much sums up my understanding. It is also my understanding that spring is the time with the most nasteys in the water because of the overground runoff. finally if the main source of giardia is domestic animals then water quality must be much better than in the past when sheep and cattle "mined" the vegetation in the Sierra. If it is worse now then it must be related to human use!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Pietro257
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Pietro257 »

I like the cold clear pure water from a high-elevation arctic lake nearby a glacier. This water is only recently removed from the sky. It's heavenly.

My father used to insist I bring home a quart of water from Powerbox Springs in the San Jacintos when I went backpacking there. He claimed this water was perfect for mixing with Scotch.

I am grateful to live in San Francisco and get tap water from the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir in the western Sierra. Not only am I grateful, I'm privileged.
papasequoia
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by papasequoia »

Of course, it's the time of year that you are drinking the water that may affect it the most. :D

Nature always wins
> miles = < people
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

Well, I think pretty much all the water that I'd deign to drink in the Sierra tastes pretty good. I tend to eschew standing or potentially stagnant water (or say puddles in hoof prints) and prefer moving water if only for the resolution of the stagnancy issue. I do filter, regardless.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I prefer snowmelt, that is, water that is flowing from under a snowbank. Not only is it cold and tasty, but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have a lot of impurities in it. Now that I know that lake water is OK to drink (UV kills microbes in upper 10cm), it's usually pretty good tasting but usually not cool enough for my preference. Now and then, I've run across some springs that produce especially fine tasting water. One that comes to mind is a few hundred yards east of Cycalmen Lake Pass where the water was bubbling out of decomposed granite.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

Rather then taking a chance, for the most part I pump anymore. I have seen so much bad behavior on the part of others its just not worth it. Its easier then having to dig a cat hole over and over. The only place I drink straight from the source is Columbine Spring in Ice House Canyon. If there is anything in that water it has earned the right. Best tasting spring water I have ever found.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

For the last 15 years, I have hardly ever filtered. I only bring a filter under certain circumstances.
I filter when...:
1) ...I am in a real high population area. For example, I would not drink unfiltered water anywhere down stream from the Merced River HSC.
2) ...It is late season and I am likely to be in a dried up area with only brackish pools available for water. For example late season near the headwaters of the Merced River drainage can be very dry, with only the lakes available for (unfiltered) water. Brackish pools may be the only water source.
3) Anywhere that is likely to be infested with cows, horses or too many people.
4) and so on.

I am particular about where I get my water from. Early season almost any runoff is naturally filtered, in particular if you know that above where the water is coming from there are no (or extremely few) people, or cows and horses. High lakes are sterile, getting more UV than a steri-pen. Perfectly safe unless infested with people and horses, etc.

I have talked to many back-country Rangers and all that I met never filtered, never got sick, even drinking out of major back-country rivers (like the Kern). The back-country is flushed out every spring, making it more than unlikely you will drink something bad, unless you do something foolish (see above). Almost all back-country water is far better than tap water.
As always, suit yourself.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Doyle
I have talked to many back-country Rangers and all that I met never filtered, never got sick, even drinking out of major back-country rivers (like the Kern).
Guess you haven't talked to enough BC rangers! Probably a high percentage don't filter (I seldom did) but I know at least 3 who got giardiasis.

Also if you are going to pick a time not to filter as I understand it spring/early season is the worst time to use moving water, just because, as you say the system is getting "flushed" and there is overland runoff contributing to the amount of giardia spores floating downstream.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

oldranger wrote: I understand it spring/early season is the worst time to use moving water, just because, as you say the system is getting "flushed" and there is overland runoff contributing to the amount of giardia spores floating downstream.
Mike
Not convinced that this is true. Giardia does not overwinter higher up…exposure to < 30º for a month kills all cysts…Snow? (I am still convinced that cattle and stock are primarily responsible for yearly re-introduction in areas of the Sierra where snow is prevalent).

The cysts (the long-term infective stage) sink and are naturally filtered out as they tumble downhill with the yearly, flushing, spring water runoff. Yes, early season, especially lower down in the Sierra, you would probably experience the greatest number of cysts traveling with early spring flush, but the tremendous volume of water moving would counteract this/ even things out.

IMHO, the worst time to use moving water is late summer, right after a rain.

I look for/ prefer those ice-cold, fern-infested, have-to-stick-your-head-in, canyon springs that seem to bubble out from nowhere. Nothing like a few thousand feet of solid granite to filter out everything.
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Please people, no more about Giardia :puke:, this thread is purely about the taste
of water. The Giardia subject was just done to death for the 100th time recently
in "The Campfire" Section. Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org