Mono / Parker/ Donahue Pass Trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
vaughnm
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by vaughnm »

A friend and I did this trip (minus the Thousand Island Lake part) two years ago. We went from the Mono Pass Trailhead to Alger Lakes the first day. I will say that the pull from Parker Pass to Koip Pass was a struggle. The camping around Parker Pass looked marginal at best. I thought that the Alger lakes area was great. High, cold, but beautiful. But no packers when I was there which might have changed things. I camped at Gem Lake with the wife earlier in the season, and that was ok, but by the time my friend and I came through the water level in the creeks was down quite a bit. We camped at the Marie Lakes trail junction, on the JMT. Was nice country, but the first day was a bit much.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

I just realized I did almost exactly your original trip about a hundred years ago: Tuolumne -> Donahue -> Agnew etc. Lakes -> Parker Pass -> Dana Meadows (then hitchhiked back to the car at Tuolumne). We camped at a really beautiful little lake on the way up Parker -- could it have been "Spillway Lake?" I don't have a map handy. Good trip. The low point was that there was construction going on at the fake lakes, so we had to listen to the rumble of heavy machinery for part of the trip. We also didn't go over Island Pass, just straight down to Agnew Lake. Nice trip!

-B2
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Post by snusmumriken »

Just wanted to log in to thank everybody for your advice on this trip. Got back this afternoon after a nice week and a half in Tuolomne and vicinity. I'll have to catch up with work and family a bit before I can put together a trip report - but its coming.
For now I'll say that I did explore the Kuna range, Koip Peak pass was a bear, Algier lakes unexpectedly pleasant, Summit lake stunning, spent a long lazy day around Thousand Island and Garnet Lakes, did make it to Ediza and yes Iceberg lake really does have icebergs. More later.
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Post by snusmumriken »

Finally got some of my pictures organized. They can be found at http://www.bernalhill.com/ParkerPass06.htm
Click on the smaller picture to see the larger version with short text commentary underneath. If you have the patience, looking at the pictures in order gives a brief trip report.
I ventured off-trail more on this trip. (And as you can see from my first day, didn't always end up where I expected.) But I loved it. And I really want to do more. Maybe Roper's route, if I can find others to join me.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Snus -

I really enjoyed your report and photos. The bit about looking for your tent for an hour gave me quite a smile too. :D

Looks like you had a great time in the mountains.

Shawn

PS. May I ask what camera you use? The photos are really nice.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Nice pics- and holy moly, that pic of the Koip Pass trail!!! I can see why you wouldn't want to do that one again! Looked like a great trip.
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Post by snusmumriken »

Thanks for looking at the pictures.
Yes I had a really nice time. The landscape was beautiful.
Going solo is usually my preference, but I do get lonely after a couple of days. On this trip I reached the area around Thousand Island and Garnet lake on my third day and had plenty of company from other hikers as well as the friendly group of seven artist I met at Garnet lake.

Shawn, the camera I have is a simple digital point and shoot. I like it for backpacking because it is small enough to fit in my pocket, comes with a tiny spare battery and weighs all told less than 5 ounces. The brand is Casio, and it also says Exilim 3.2 Mega Pixels on the camera. I know nothing about cameras. This one I bought 3 years ago for $300 - $400 dollars. Seemed a lot at the time, but I use it for work so it was a deductable expense. I'm sure they are cheaper now.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Sunsmumriken...I remember reading and looking at your pictures from your JMT trip a while back. These are beautiful..I can't seem to see them all..im clicking on the arrow but nothing happens :( I will keep trying so I can see the rest of them