Circle of Solitude in Reverse

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dg234
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Circle of Solitude in Reverse

Post by dg234 »

Has anyone walked the Circle of Solitude in Reverse -- i.e. starting up Bubbs Creek and over Forester? I am looking at this as an alternative to avoid the 3,755-ft gain over 6.2 miles up Sphinx Creek with a full back. Going up Bubbs reduces the gain to 3,355-ft and spreads it out over 9.5 miles. Any pros or cons based on views, crossing passes, etc?

One other alternative, which will add a day or two, is to do the Circle of Solitude from the east over Kearsarge. This alternative basically replace going in and out of Road's End to Sphinx with going in and out of Onion Valley and over Kearsarge to Vidette Meadows. Has anyone done this trip?

Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions on the options.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Circle of Solitude in Reverse

Post by maverick »

Hi dg234,

Welcome to HST!
Please give us a little background info: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
dg234
Topix Newbie

Post by dg234 »

Sorry for not providing the additional information.

My husband and I are level3 + backpackers. We typically hike in the rockies -- specifically the Wind River Range - doing 7-12 day backpacks that cover 8-12+ miles a day. X-country is fine if it is Class 2. We love hiking in the high country -- see forever passes, alpine lakes and meadows, big mountains and opportunities for photography. Based on our research it looks like this trip would be anywhere from 8-10 days with some side trips (for example: Lake South America). Our current plan is to do the trip right after Labor Day.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Previous TR's that may help:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8893&hilit=circle+of+solitude" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7906&hilit=circle+solitude" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Going from roads end to forrester would be about 8500 feet up to start the hike. I think it would end up being more difficult. The views are great either way.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

dg234

You wrote:
Has anyone walked the Circle of Solitude in Reverse -- i.e. starting up Bubbs Creek and over Forester? I am looking at this as an alternative to avoid the 3,755-ft gain over 6.2 miles up Sphinx Creek with a full back. Going up Bubbs reduces the gain to 3,355-ft and spreads it out over 9.5 miles. Any pros or cons based on views, crossing passes, etc?
Not sure what your figures relate to as it there is over 8000 ft of vertical between Roads End and Forester in about 20 miles and 5,000 feet of vertical between Roads End and Avalanche Pass in about 8 miles. Obviously the hike up to Avalanche is steeper but has the relief of some downhill after topping out while the route to Forester is longer and higher but more gradual. Pick your own poison! If your trip was in July or August I would recommend heading up Avalanche first to gain some elevation and cooler temps as heading up Bubbs can be pretty warm in the summer. You may go more miles the first day going up Bubbs but you can make extra miles the second day after clearing Avalanche Pass (rather than following the trail where it turns NW before crossing Moraine Creek just cross the creek and the moraine and plunge down ssw and intersect the trail up Cloud Canyon to save a lot of time and miles but don't do the reverse!).

Either way you go it is a great trip.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
snowpatch
Topix Acquainted

Post by snowpatch »

I can't give advice on which way to hike the circle of solitude, but I DEFINITELY recommend a side trip to Lake South America.
From Lake South America, head cross country NW up to Lucy's foot pass for a great view. From Lucy"s walk west along the ridge for a ways, then head south to the lakes that resemble the bones of a foot. From here work your way south until you reach Upper Kern Cut-off trail.
This was one of my favourite days on a 50 day hike of the sierras. It's an amazing area and you will likely have the lake basin to yourself.
BTW: I love the WInd River Range. Finally got there 2 summer ago. You are lucky to be able to hike there so often.
dg234
Topix Newbie

Post by dg234 »

Everyone, thanks so much for your help. Will definitely check out Lucy's Foot Pass.
snowpatch
Topix Acquainted

Post by snowpatch »

The advantage of seeing Lucy's footpass on the Lake South America day hike loop, is the relief you get when you look down the pass and know that you don't have to descend it on the north. It is the scariest looking class 2 pass I have ever seen.