Winter Access to Lake Wishon

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
BlueMan
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Winter Access to Lake Wishon

Post by BlueMan »

I'm thinking of doing a spring ski tour pretty soon here out to Tehipite Valley. I'm curious to see in it's winter glory. However, I know that the road in to Wishon (McKinnly Grove) is closed to private vehicles at Dinky Creek, 13 miles from Wishon even though the road is plowed for PG &E vehicles. I have no desire to walk 13 miles with my skis on my back. Does anyone have any idea if PG & E might consider giving me a lift for that portion? I'd like to contact their office up there but I haven't found any contact info for that area specifically and I'd rather not leave it up to chance. Any thoughts? Someone else must have tried this.
Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Winter Access to Lake Wishon

Post by maverick »

Hi BlueMan,

Call the Prather Ranger Station for info they may be able to help: http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/04/29/236 ... rvior.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Winter Access to Lake Wishon

Post by paul »

I would bet that you will never get anybody from PG&E to tell you you can get a ride in any of their vehicles. Not officially. But if you start walking down the road you might have a chance at a lift, unofficially. I have been picked up by a caltrans guy when walking up the Tioga road at a time when it was closed but plowed. Officially not allowed, unofficially possible. But I sure wouldn't count on it. There does come a time in the spring when there is still plenty of snow on the ground for ski touring but the road is open to Wishon Dam - but that date is totally unpredictable and you can't know until it happens or maybe a few days before.

Have you considered a bicycle?