Why Rockwell is Wrong about Giardia

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Why Rockwell is Wrong about Giardia

Post by longri »

deleted
Last edited by longri on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

WTF guys! You have gone beyond informing and just trying to win a point. Use a pm for this!

M
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Oh, okay. I think it is a topic worth discussing. But I'll remove my previous posts.
Colter
Topix Acquainted

Post by Colter »

longri wrote:...I think it is a topic worth discussing...
Thanks, I do too.

This is a thread from Backpackinglight where I think everyone who was interested in the topic learned something. I know I did. It was a good exchange.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... 127.77.115" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Colter wrote:
longri wrote:...I think it is a topic worth discussing...
This is a thread from Backpackinglight where I think everyone who was interested in the topic learned something. I know I did. It was a good exchange.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... 127.77.115" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for that link, that was a really good discussion. It was impressive not only in that it shed a little bit of light on a subject lacking sufficient data but also in that it was so civil.

I'm not going to send you a PM and I don't need a reply to this, but have you attempted to contact Bob Rockwell and discuss the subject with him? A similar discussion took place online over ten years ago, one that you probably have found with google. It involved a backcountry enthusiast who was employed as a municipal water treatment professional. He had recently contracted giardiasis in the Sierra and took Rockwell to task. Bob's response was interesting to read.
Colter
Topix Acquainted

Post by Colter »

Yup, that's the best thread I've seen on giardia. There was some real science there, and I too was impressed with the civility.

I have looked for current contact information for Rockwell but came up empty handed. I was debating a physician friend of his so perhaps Rockwell is no longer active on the topic.

I've likely read the thread that you're referring to, probably on http://www.whitneyzone.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where he used to post. Can you paraphrase what he said?

Here are a couple other posts I've written on the topic. I don't expect uninterested people to read them:
http://bucktrack.blogspot.com/2011/03/w ... rs-no.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://bucktrack.blogspot.com/2012/09/b ... cal_8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The latter you might find interesting, longri, because I think it shows that what is perhaps the second most cited "skeptic paper" is also riddled with misinformation.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Colter wrote: Here are a couple other posts I've written on the topic. I don't expect uninterested people to read them:
Colter,
That's the second snide remark you have made about members here in 7 posts (Talk to the hand). Nice way to start out.
Open discussion does not include being rude...IMHO, You are.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
Colter
Topix Acquainted

Post by Colter »

markskor wrote:
Colter wrote: Here are a couple other posts I've written on the topic. I don't expect uninterested people to read them:
Colter,
That's the second snide remark you have made about members here in 7 posts (Talk to the hand). Nice way to start out.
Open discussion does not include being rude...IMHO, You are.
Mark
Hi Mark, I'm sorry if it came across that way. In both cases that surely wasn't my intention. Being snide is not a good way to make friends and influence people.

I think we can agree that it's easy to misinterpret tone when people aren't face to face and they don't know each other. I said "I don't expect uninterested people to read them" trying to be polite and not pushy, like handing a book to a friend and saying "I don't expect you to read it if you're not interested."

Similarly I said I will cease "talking to the hand" until when, and if, I detect some interest. :) I was offering to let the thread end and making fun of myself as the new guy (most people weren't interested in the topic and as stated several thought I was "late to the party") and not saying "talk to the hand" to the old salts here, that not being my place and would be both rude and foolish. I put the smiley face so people could read my intended tone.
Maddog61
Topix Acquainted

Post by Maddog61 »

Colter, I didn't take your comments as rude. In fact, I think you did a good job of remaining civil in spite of the less than warm response. I don't have enough experience on the topic to offer any constructive input, but as I wasn't present for the previous "beatings of the dead horse, " I have found this topic interesting. :-)
There are many members here that do not have decades of experience, yet many topics like this, (lightning safety, keeping down dry, weather etc.) are met with grumpy replies saying that this issue has been covered. I don't mean any offense to the grumpy people around here, :-) but perhaps if you're not interested in the debate, just ignore it.
I value these discussions, and know that I'll be more prepared on my few, short, precious trips to the Sierra this season. Besides, what else will we talk about while wishing we were up there?

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
Colter
Topix Acquainted

Post by Colter »

Maddog61 wrote:Colter, I didn't take your comments as rude. In fact, I think you did a good job of remaining civil in spite of the less than warm response. I don't have enough experience on the topic to offer any constructive input, but as I wasn't present for the previous "beatings of the dead horse, " I have found this topic interesting. :-)
There are many members here that do not have decades of experience, yet many topics like this, (lightning safety, keeping down dry, weather etc.) are met with grumpy replies saying that this issue has been covered. I don't mean any offense to the grumpy people around here, :-) but perhaps if you're not interested in the debate, just ignore it.
I value these discussions, and know that I'll be more prepared on my few, short, precious trips to the Sierra this season. Besides, what else will we talk about while wishing we were up there?
Thanks for that, Maddog61!