Timing of Inyo permit availability?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Timing of Inyo permit availability?

Post by tim »

Does anyone know what time of day the Inyo National Forest permits are made available on recreation.gov? I see from the site that certain highly sought after permits (like unclaimed lottery permits for Mt Whitney) are made available at a "random time" (and not immediately after cancellation).

But I assume that probably doesn't happen for the regular dates 6 months out, which come up every day so are more likely to be consistent? I don't see a time listed on the recreation.gov site but has anyone experimented to determine when this is? I guess it could be midnight ET (or midnight PT?) the night before (i.e. the evening of Feb 19 for an Aug 20 permit) or perhaps 7am PT on the day of (i.e. the morning of Feb 20 for an Aug 20 permit)? Any difference at weekends (of course either the booking date or departure date might be a weekend, but usually not both)? What about say an August 31 departure, given there aren't 31 days in Feb?
oleander
Topix Expert

Re: Timing of Inyo permit availability?

Post by oleander »

10 a.m. Eastern (7 a.m. Pacific), exactly 6 months prior to your permitted start date.
So: Permits for August 21 became available this morning, Feb. 21.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

That's great, thanks. No need to get up at midnight!
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

I filed for mine out of Agnew Meadows on Feb. 1 and just barely got a permit for Aug. 1. They be going real fast. Snooze and you will lose.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.