Bears and alcohol fuel.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Pachystima
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Bears and alcohol fuel.

Post by Pachystima »

I'm planning on using an alcohol stove on the first part of my upcoming JMT through hike and was curious as to whether bears have any interest in denatured ethanol. Has anyone here heard of bears getting into fuel supplies while they are rummaging around looking for food? Should I plan on keeping the alky in my bear can or can I just leave it out with my stove and pot. Any info would be much appreciated. The idea of a drunken bear loose in my camp area is "sobering" to say the least. :thumbsdown:

PS. What about other alcoholic "fuels" such as bourbon, single malt or rum? :D
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Re: Bears and alcohol fuel.

Post by The Other Tom »

Welcome to HST !
I don't have any first hand info, but a ranger will tell you to put anything with an odor in your bear can....sunscreen, toothpaste, medicine, etc. I don't know if denatured ethanol has an odor or not, but my guess is it does.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

White gas has a very distinctive odor, but I've never considered putting it in my bear canister, or had it suggested that I should. There's no way it would fit either. Not sure I see why an alcohol stove would be different.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Haven't had a problem with the "alternative" fuels just being left in their flask in the camp kitchen in 30 years. Bears never touched the 151 or the blackberry brandy. I doubt you'll have a problem with denatured alcohol. If you're unsure, you could split your fuel into two bottles, where one could fit in the can and the other out.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Alcohol, like whiskey and rum has a lot of sugar, and bears are attracted to sugar.
http://www.anchoragerecyclingtruth.com/ ... ences.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

I've had bears chew holes into plastic gas cans , so they probably would go for alcohol also.
I'm no suture for my future.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Been known to carry me some Grand Mariner - purely for medicinal purposes.

Sweet and aromatic...but never, repeat never, have I had any bear even bother with my carrier platy.
BTW, usually leave outside tent, by a tree, in camp, etc.
If bears won't touch my GM, probably your alcohol fuel is safe too.
Mountainman who swims with trout
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Not clear from my experience that the fact that bears have not bothered my booze is lack of interest or simply lack of bears in camp. I did have an occasion when I stashed a beer under a rock in a creek-- when I returned from my day hike the can was on the bank, empty and obvious tooth holes in the aluminum can.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Back when there were a lot of nosy bears about, I usually left out the alcohol I used to prime my white gas stove with (along with fuel and stove), and the occasional bear never showed any interest. A really young bear the first year away from dear old mom will chew and explore anything left out, including tents, but that is very rare. These days you are lucky to see a bear in the actual back-country.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Denatured alcohol for stoves, I leave it out. Even when bears monkey with the canisters, they pass right on by it.

Booze goes in the canister with the food, toiletries, trash and anything else smelly.