Sierra Challenge 2013

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
orbitor
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Sierra Challenge 2013

Post by orbitor »

Would like to know if anyone here is signed up or is thinking about participating in this year's Sierra Challenge. If so, what's your reason?

I decided I'll try a couple of days just so I can say I participated.

http://www.snwburd.com/bob/challenge/2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Sierra Challenge 2013

Post by longri »

The offerings are increasingly obscure each year.
orbitor wrote:If so, what's your reason?
If you have to ask....

The bottom line is that it's "fun".
orbitor
Topix Regular

Post by orbitor »

Longri,

I agree the peaks get more obscure every year, but there is always the option of substituting a peak that was used in the previous challenges (provided you haven't climbed it at that time). This is what I'm doing on my second day. Also gives me the opportunity to climb something I've been looking forward to for a long time.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

This is not a criticism but just a reflection I have had for a long time. Why do people need or want to follow "challenges" challenges established by someone else. Just never understood need/desire to thru hike, do Halfdome, or any number of "in" things.

To me the challege is to discover, on my own or through querying friends, obsecure places and spending time becoming inimate with an area. Sort of like the difference between a one night stand and a committed relationship.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

oldranger wrote:This is not a criticism but just a reflection I have had for a long time. Why do people need or want to follow "challenges" challenges established by someone else. Just never understood need/desire to thru hike, do Halfdome, or any number of "in" things.

To me the challege is to discover, on my own or through querying friends, obsecure places and spending time becoming inimate with an area. Sort of like the difference between a one night stand and a committed relationship.

Mike

Maybe it's a rhetorical question but since you posted it I'll take a shot.......cause we're all wired differently and what is a challenge and motivation to you perhaps is of little interest to someone else. Some people don't value as much the intimacy and obscurity that you seem to put a higher importance on and that's cool. It's what makes the world go round. I certainly value self discovery too (more than organized) but see how taking part of something like this could be fun and bring me together with others that are like minded and have similar goals. Being able to share in something I accomplished with another person who did the same may bring a connection with that individual I would have otherwise never experienced.

Ladd
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

oldranger wrote:This is not a criticism but just a reflection I have had for a long time. Why do people need or want to follow "challenges" challenges established by someone else. Just never understood need/desire to thru hike, do Halfdome, or any number of "in" things.

Mike
We all find different ways to try to fill our march from the cradle to the grave - some people enter challenges set out by someone else and others wander solo going in their own direction. It's okay either way.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I still use my saying "It doesn't matter how you do it as long as you do it".

Maybe I should add "and enjoy yourself" to that.

I'm personally not into challenges. That drive to push yourself to the limits. My least favorite part of hiking the Sierra is being in agony gasping for breath with sore everything.
orbitor
Topix Regular

Post by orbitor »

Mike
Hi oldranger,
Your comments are from the perspective of someone with many years of experience roaming the Sierra - and I certainly respect that. As for myself, I am at a point in my life where I feel my strength continuing to increase, thus allowing me to push the limits to greater extremes. Furthermore, while backpacking has been and always will be my true love, I am also very much into peakbagging, so I definitely want to take advantage of these prime-time years to see how far I can get in that category. The Sierras are the ultimate proving ground for California; Bob Burd is the guru. Participating in his challenge gives me a measuring stick, as I'm sure it does to many others who are joining. I know I'll get whooped, but it's the experience that counts!
Finally, regarding your remark about the appeal of "in" things - I'm of the opinion that everything should be tried at least once.
orbitor
Topix Regular

Post by orbitor »

DriveFly44 wrote:Maybe it's a rhetorical question but since you posted it I'll take a shot.......cause we're all wired differently and what is a challenge and motivation to you perhaps is of little interest to someone else. Some people don't value as much the intimacy and obscurity that you seem to put a higher importance on and that's cool. It's what makes the world go round. I certainly value self discovery too (more than organized) but see how taking part of something like this could be fun and bring me together with others that are like minded and have similar goals. Being able to share in something I accomplished with another person who did the same may bring a connection with that individual I would have otherwise never experienced.

Ladd
Ladd,
I plan on doing the hikes I signed up for with a small team from my regular hiking group in Southern California. These are people whose abilities I know well and whose company I thoroughly enjoy, so yes, it is as much about the camaraderie and the shared experience as it is about the physical challenge. I also look forward to meeting the other participants and hearing about what motivates them, what their goals are, etc.
Definitely agree that having different interests is perfectly fine. As long as we all respect each other's choices, meaningful experiences are to gained.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

orbitor wrote:Longri,

I agree the peaks get more obscure every year, but there is always the option of substituting a peak that was used in the previous challenges (provided you haven't climbed it at that time). This is what I'm doing on my second day. Also gives me the opportunity to climb something I've been looking forward to for a long time.
That's true. I suppose you could go to ten different trailheads and climb ten different peaks and never even see any of the other participants!