Lucy's Footpass

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Lucy's Footpass

Post by ExploreABitMore »

Already dreaming of the Sierra and this upcoming summer's trips ;-)

Has anybody here used Lucy's Foot Pass? Any pics?

We're thinking of using it this summer, but I have heard the Talus is pretty nasty on the N Side? Perhaps we're better off with Milly's Footpass, even though less direct for our purposes (Ericsson).

Thanks
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Lucy's Footpass

Post by maverick »

Hi Granite4brains,

Welcome to HST!
Use the "search feature" at the top of the "backpacking section" to dig up info on
this area there is some available: search.php?keywords=lucy%27s+foot+pass&fid%5B%5D=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also this may help: http://www.summitpost.org/mount-ericsson/506493" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular

Post by ExploreABitMore »

Thanks Maverick. Sounding like Lucy's Foot Pass is particularly nasty. We'll just have to see how adventurous we're feeling when it comes around!
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
lostcoyote
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by lostcoyote »

did lucy foot many moons ago in my youth.
nasty slow going talus but class 2 - steep at the top - there could be a few class 3 short sections depending upon where you end up
if going down, drop down 400 or so off the steep stuff and then stay to the right side east of the central morraine instead of heading directly to the lake below. once at the trees, then turn towards the lakes northern shore

south side is class 1 - trivial.

here's a pic of the north side taken 2 years back on a trip i did with my son at the lake above reflection:

also, consider harrison....
or better yet, little joe pass (which is easiest of all)
have not done lucys foot so can't comment on that one.
Last edited by lostcoyote on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: Lucy's Footpass and Mt Ericsson

Post by giantbrookie »

My wife and I did Lucy's Foot on a dayhike from East Lake en route to climb Ericsson. The pass is steep class 2 and has a well deserved reputation for somewhat hairy loose and steep talus. The part that is actually sketchy is near the top of the north side and I believe one can keep things fairly safe with optimal route finding. This section is fairly short (perhaps some 50-100 feet) whereas the rest is merely a bit tedious.

Note if you are headed for Ericsson, keep in mind that guidebooks tend to leave out the fact that the summit rocks are class 3 from anywhere. The peak is a class 1 walk up from the pass until you reach the base of the cliffs of the summit ridge. There are two class 3 moves. The first one lacks much exposure (but requires some agility on descent). This lower move gets you up onto the summit ridge. The top of the ridge toward the summit is then class 2 until the climactic move up the summit block atop which sits the register. This second and last class 3 move is easy (much less athletic than lower one) but it has sensational exposure.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ken M
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ken M »

A number of years ago, I attempted Milly's solo. I chose not to climb up it, which I could have done, because I was not positive that I could safely descend it, without a short rope. :eek:
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

no rope really needed
just lots of **** talus to slog thru being careful.
lensman137
Topix Acquainted

Post by lensman137 »

Went down it years ago on a trans Shepard's Pass to Cedar Grove trip. We just lowered our packs with some bear cord, and then climbed down basically on on our asses. No problem. But our packs were big and heavy back then.