Smoking and Backpacking

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Smoking and Backpacking

Post by sparky »

There is only one person to blame for addictions. The user. Blaming substances for addictions is passing the buck. I understand why though, egos are fragile.

While mind altering drugs are harmful, so is all the additives and preservatives most peopple happily consume daily. It is silly to see someone talk about how illegal drugs are bad while they suck down sodas daily and medicate with doctor perscribes xanex, or play with smartphones that give off small amounts of radiation.

I understand though, we like to fit things into the paradigm of how we understand the world....not necessarily the way things are :-)

Its a twisted little world we live in. Sorry to stray off topic there, just needed to rant again.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Smoking and Backpacking

Post by SSSdave »

A couple of my 5 brothers still smoke, have backpacked with them, and it was not an issue. I grew up during the age when smoking was popular and was not excluded from public places. I never smoked except at age 12 experimenting. Back then places like bars, restaurants, and theatres were often full of smoke. Odd thing was it did not bother me all that much at the time. But I always disliked kissing gals with cigaret breath and later on after all the bans learned to instantly dislike the smell of smoker's breath in enclosed small rooms even if it had been hours since they last smoked.