TR: Circle of Solitude (7/14-7/21 2012)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Circle of Solitude (7/14-7/21 2012)

Post by Tollermom »

Hopefully your photos will be part of my dreams tonight. Thank you for sharing the splendor.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by schmalz »

riverwalker wrote:Great TR! I have been inspired and look forward to being able to steal away for over a week to do this. Maybe with my boys when they get older.

BTW what tripod are you using. I have an older Gitzo CF tripod but would like to try to get a little lighter for my long trips. I seem to draw too much attention when I hike with mine:)
It's a Feisol CF tripod. It weighs 3 lbs. including ballhead. I get some attention too, which I usually appreciate. I like talking to people out there so anything that'll spark up a conversation. I'd love to get something a little lighter and easier to carry, but there seems to be nothing between the full on carbon tripods and flimsy lightweight ones that aren't big or stable enough.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

Thanks for sharing schmalz. I really enjoyed your photos, and the story you told to go along with them. You traveled some big country.
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

TR: Circle of Solitude (7/14-7/21 2012)

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for a fun read and excellent photos. I can relate to that feeling after hiking solo for 8 days.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Great trip report. I think you really missed out, photo-wise, by not instead going up the Kern Canyon to the upper Kern Basin with its multiple lakes and towering peaks.
When I was at Colby Lake, I too ran into some weather (snow too), which provided similar spectacular pictures.
As for the Kern-Kawea part and Gallats Lake, you thought it was one of duller areas, while for me, photographically, it provided one of the best pictures and most memorable areas. As usual, timing is everything. Below is a big picture (click on the image) of Gallats Lake (near the "horseshoe"), one of my all time favorite pictures, taken almost 13 years ago...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
toejam
Topix Acquainted

Post by toejam »

Photographers can be such divas! Ha ha! I loved your report. May have to do that loop myself.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Doyle - First off, your trip report on this area was a big inspiration for me to choose this trip and I'd like to thank you very much for all of your work over the years.

Obviously I was aware of your preference for the upper kern having read the report, and it was the original path that I was planning to take. Once I decided that Milestone Basin wasn't in the cards, it didn't really matter which way I took so I weighed the pros and cons a bit.

Here are a few reasons I went with my choice:

- My wife has shown interest in the Lake South America area and I'd like to return with her to explore the area and Milestone Basin with her. It made sense to save it for when I had more time to actually explore it.

- I don't see myself doing the HST anytime soon, so this might be the only time it ever makes sense to hike this stretch.

- A lot of this trip had been below treeline and I was craving some more alpine landscapes. I was hoping to get to treeline to camp for good sunset and sunrise photography, but that obviously didn't pan out.

- Bighorn plateau was amazing with the morning light and clouds in the sky. I have no regrets.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Just what I needed to read during these dreary winter months- a great trip report! Thanks for sharing.
I took a tripod last year, and barely used it....and really regretted it after I got home and saw the pics.
Mradford
Topix Regular

Post by Mradford »

What an amazing trip report. Big wet canyon looks like something out of a dream. I am really hoping to retrace your steps someday. Sorry to hear about your altitude sickness and tripod issues.

Thanks for posting.
cahikr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahikr »

Very nice trip report!
Funny thing that altitude sickness, you never know when it will rear it's ugly head.
Thankfully you were able to deal with it and complete your awesome adventure.
We need to meet up for a day hike soon!