One Night Hike suggestions to Thousand Island Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mad3654
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

One Night Hike suggestions to Thousand Island Lake

Post by mad3654 »

Ha, newbee here and to hiking

We go to San Francisco from Florida to visit family each year and have enjoyed the scenery at Yosemite and Sequoia. This year we would like to try a two day one night hike and see the Sierra Mountains. Any ideas of going to the Thousand Island area? We are new to this type of hiking. One issue is that we are traveling to San Francisco this year in April normally in July. I know that this is probably not the best time of year, but we are willing to try. Thanks for any suggestions.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: One Night Hike suggestions to Thousand Island Lake

Post by schmalz »

The mountains will still be snowed in at that point so backpacking is a no go.

I think based on your trip I have two suggestions:

1) Drive to either Yosemite NP or Sequioa NP. Car camp or get a hotel. Day hike/snow shoe/cross country ski depending on where you go and how conditions play out.

2) Do a backpacking trip on the coast. The whole coastline from Point Reyes to Big Sur has a number of options for quick 1 night backpack trips.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Mad3654,

Welcome to HST! You will have to come back at another time later in the year
since the 1000 Is Lake area will be covered by several feet of snow and Reds
Meadow Roads will be closed another 2-3 months depending on the snow levels.
The only place I can recommend you visit this time of the year as an intro
to the Sierra is Yosemite Valley, if you can get a place to stay. It is a 5-6 hour
drive from SFO and spending a night checking out the scenery in the Valley is
magical.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Point Reyes National Seashore is real close to San Francisco and a great place for beginning backpackers. A good over night trip would be from Bear Valley to Wildcat Camp. You can loop the route -Bear Valley Trail to Coast Trail and back via Glen Camp. At low tide you can walk the beach to Alemere Falls. Weekend permits are hard to get unless you reserve ahead. If you are mid-week, then no problem- I have never had a problem getting a walk-in permit.

A nice April hike in Yosemite would be the Snow Creek Trail to the rim. There is a flat buttress at the rim that has some nice camping with a great view of Half Dome. This is south facing and free of snow. You can stay in the backpackers campground in Yosemite Valley (if it is open - may be open end of April but not early April) or camp at Camp 4 (no reservations needed).

Another possiblity is from Hetch Hetchy to Rancheria Falls. It should be snow free too.
mad3654
Topix Newbie

Post by mad3654 »

Thanks very much for the great suggestions. I will look into each one of them. The coast sounds like a good idea.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

Thousand Island Lake is definitely out, but you can still get a taste of the Sierras. One suggestion would be a winter visit to Yosemite area. Some trails in the valley floor might be open for shorter day hikes, and if you've never been there you'll love the scenery (plus you'll be reminded why it's so nice living in Florida w/o snow).

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/winter.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although it sounds like time is very limited this year another suggestion for a future trip in April would be one of the desert areas like Death Valley, Joshua Tree or even Palm Springs. Lots of nice day hikes and the weather can be pretty nice.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Another possiblity is from Hetch Hetchy to Rancheria Falls. It should be snow free too.
Hetch Hetchy road is closed indefinitely due to road damage (major landslip). Apparently it may not be re-opened in time for Memorial Day weekend. According to one report from someone on-site:
"My guess (only a personal guess) is that the road will not open to the public until mid-summer....like July-ish. Depending on the length of construction, I wouldn't be surprised if it were closed beyond July"

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,61986" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;