who has/had knee problems?

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

who has/had knee problems?

Post by lostcoyote »

i really have messed up my right knee...

who can relate?
Maddog61
Topix Acquainted

Re: who has/had knee problems?

Post by Maddog61 »

I can. They just cropped up over the last half of 2012. My right knee has been in pain for about 6 months. I quit running altogether, rest, ice, NSAIDs, Etc. Nothing seems to help. I'm trying not to whine about it lol. But you asked! Where does yours hurt?

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Me too. But six months of rest seems to have got be back on track....
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Working construction has hammered my knees. I try to really take care of them. My recent day hiking regiment of steep, sandy, mixed with fast miles several times a week have strengthened my knees and ankles tremendously.
I'm no suture for my future.
RooPhillip
Topix Regular

Post by RooPhillip »

My knees have progressively gotten more jacked up as the years go by.

A few years ago I found a pair of knee braces that are soft, stretchy, and secure with velcro. Big 5 sells them for about 20 bucks each. They've helped me tremendously. I think the brand name is Tru-Fit.

Not only do they help with hiking, but it's amazing the sense of stabilty I get when fishing, especially in rocky pocketwater.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

i used one of those flexible braces last year. they sure do hold the sweat - LOL

my knee problem started 28 years ago when i had a serious downhill ski injury. my right knee went through a severe reverse compression (hyper extention i guess) and the popetiel artery was crushed. i didn't even know that it had happened. we were skiing at june mountain and the runs start out steep and pan out at the bottom. anyway, heading into the flats, we were going very fast and there was a shady spot. i did not see the dip in the run and when i hit it, i lunged forward and hyper-extended my knee becuse when enreting the flats, i was standing pretty much upright at that time without my knees bent.

anyway, overnight, the artery clotted and i ended up having to have a bypass done. they removed one of my major veins, turned it around, and used it for the artery.
as a result, my return circulation has never been as good and i have some permanent nerve damage.... and.... as i get older, this is all finally catching up with me.

then around 16 years ago, imwas hiking out in utah and had to make a 4 foot running jump to get to another sandstone ledge. landing on mym right leg, i felt my knee almost give out and a sharp pain... but it went away after a few minutes.... so whatever i stressed there is what the problem is right now. not sure if it's an ACL partial tear or not.... and the orthopedic guy i was referred to would not do an MRI to see. (f-k kaiser permanente)

so i have to be very careful.

i have a bad feeling that my 40+ year backpacking career may be coming to an end if things do not improve.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

LC wrote:
not sure if it's an ACL partial tear or not.... and the orthopedic guy i was referred to
would not do an MRI to see. (f-k kaiser permanente)
Go ask to see another doctor, and if you have to go to another KP, sometimes
you have to be forceful and persistent in getting them to do what you would like
them to do. My wife had to see three different surgeons, at three different locations
until she finally got what and who she wanted at Kaiser.
It is your knee and your backpacking career, don't give in after one, two, or even
three tries LC!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

K P has a policy for a 2nd opinion; use it.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

not sure if it's an ACL partial tear or not.... and the orthopedic guy i was referred to would not do an MRI to see
Did he give an opinion or a diagnosis? If he felt MRI was not indicated or helpful in the diagnosis, the orthopedist should explain, and offer a treatment for the condition. Managed Care is a numbers game, as in ICD-9 codes. Depending on how the diagnosis is coded, determines if Imaging will be covered or not. MRI is not cheap, so it's use is tightly controlled.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

I envy you guys who confess to this problem but feel you can keep going. I've experienced a progressive deterioration from osteoarthritis in my right knee that relentlessly makes me aware of how risky it would be to launch forth into the wild only have an accident - - i.e., one bad step in rocky underfooting - - out on the trail , alone. I attribute it to a lot of years of bull-headed determination to go out there, no matter what, and I'm not sorry and won't apologize! Now, though, just walking out to get the mail everyday reminds me how vulnerable I could be. Since I don't have a hiking partner, and I don't feel I can ask someone else to take on a rescue responsibility if I crash, hiking seems out of reach (not to mention my age!) So go for it, and more power to ya! And take pictures, so I can continue to vicariously enjoy all your adventures! Just wish I could be out there with ya. :nod:
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!