TR: Ediza - 1000 Island - Sept '12

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Ediza - 1000 Island - Sept '12

Post by schmalz »

This is a pretty short trip report that focuses more on my dad than on trail specifics. I figured you all would still appreciate some scenery to pass the time until summer :).

http://www.calitrails.wordpress.com/201 ... old-times/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Ediza - 1000 Island - Sept '12

Post by DriveFly44 »

Nice TR. Pretty awesome to be able to do that with your dad who introduced you to the magnificent Sierra. Thanks for sharing.

Ladd
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

Nice report and pictures, thanks for posting.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Beautiful photos. I love this area but avoid it except in late or early season because it is so accessible (i.e., crowded). I'm kind of surprised you ran into crowds after Labor Day -- must have been a weekend?

What breed is Callie? She's really cute.

Mike
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Mike - It was a Friday-Monday trip. I'd love to do trips like this mid-week but I'm forced to plan around weekends due to work etc.

Callie is a pound puppy so we don't know for sure, but we have a hunch she is a Chow-Shepherd mix. Last summer was her first backpacking season and she had a blast. We are looking forward to this summer and slowly getting the wife and son into the mix.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

schmalz;
Thanks for another nice tr with beautiful photos. Good for you that your dad, you and your dog could share that time together. I love that area, and your report makes it of interest once again. Maverick has suggested before that the High Trail in early season can be a riot of wildflowers against that stunning backdrop of the Minarets, Ritter and Banner peaks - I want to see that.

Mike M.
Last September after Labor Day, I hiked and camped above Blue Lake, in the Bishop Creek Drainage, and there were lots of people up there - luckily only one other was camped anywhere near me, but the area was busy. And I was there Monday through Friday.

Cheers,
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Callie is a pound puppy so we don't know for sure, but we have a hunch she is a Chow-Shepherd mix. Last summer was her first backpacking season and she had a blast.
We have a pound doggie too -- a Cattle Dog/Chow mix. Shady's tail looks a little like Callie's, but her nature is all Cattle Dog -- she wants to herd everything. She's getting old now, but in her prime, she was a beast on the trail.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

Thanks for the trip report. I've been to the Thousand Lakes area more than any other in the Sierra (along with Sunrise Lakes out of Tuolumne). I've been there after Labor Day during a week day and didn't see many people at Thousand Island. Even with a fair amount of people there, we found good spots in the trees on the northern shore. Ediza is popular. We camped high above the lake because the lakeshore spots were taken. A beautiful solitary location next to the inlet stream. I loved the shot of your dog looking up the tree! It's good you and your dad could spend some time together.
bluefish
Topix Acquainted

Post by bluefish »

Absolutely loved x 3 the photos. What a great trip with great companions. Thanks for another winter booster shot.

Charlie
chrisdiercks
Topix Acquainted

Post by chrisdiercks »

Schmalz. Thanks for posting up another nice TR. Great photography (another good photographer posting up in this forum). Like sweetsierria, this area is one of my favorite regions. First time there was 1968 with the Boy Scouts and I was hooked. In August of 1988, around the time you and your dad were in the Yosemite area, I took my future wife up to Ritter and Davis. Excuse the poor photo's but this was the view. Partly I'm just using this as an excuse to figure out how to post photos :D . There was a fire starting in the Mammoth area at the time.

btw, it's great that you and your dad continue getting out together. Like you, my dad is the one who introduced me to the back country.