TR: Circle of Solitude (7/14-7/21 2012)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Circle of Solitude (7/14-7/21 2012)

Post by TehipiteTom »

Great trip report, fantastic photos. I definitely need to do that route (but from a western approach) someday.
Electra
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Electra »

Great Stuff, thank you! Really love your photos, you have a gift.
Dan Braun
Camp Navarro, Evergreen Lodge & SYMG
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

Thanks for the great trip report and beautiful photos! I did my first 8-day solo trip last year, so reading your report made me think about the emotions that arise hiking alone for that long of a time for the first time.

I've often gone up to altitude without being acclimated and often, I've been okay, with perhaps a slight headache. I appreciate the need to drink even when I'm not thirsty the first day in. On one trip, after coming up from Owens Valley and hiking to the Mammoth crest with a destination of Deer Lakes on the first day of a 9-day trip, I knew I should be drinking but, as is too often the case, I didn't.

We had another two miles and 1,000 feet or so to the lakes, and I was so nauseated, I had to stop and felt I would pass out. I felt fine (tired but okay) just before that. It was the worst I'd ever felt. As soon as I sat down and drank as much as I could (and had some raisins and nuts), I felt much better. I knew to drink even though I'd hydrated at the trailhead, but because I'm somewhat of a camel, I didn't. Lesson learned. I've also had some alcohol the first night of a trip, mixed with crystal light, and it's usually not a problem.
Last edited by SweetSierra on Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I enjoyed your report and pictures! Thanks!
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by AaronRDavis »

Awesome trip, epic scenery, great pictures.
mello
Topix Acquainted

Post by mello »

Thanks so much for posting this. I can sense you had a great time even with all the things gone wrong (how could you not?). I especially love this quote:

"Occasionally, I’d snap a photo when I remembered that I wasn’t dreaming."

Great pictures too, thanks again!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

schmalz wrote:In general it's not ideal to drive from sea level and immediately hike to 12k feet. I'll probably be putting an increased emphasis on building in more acclimation time for my next big trip.
I'll second that. Every time I've done a strenuous hike after starting at sea level that day I've lived to regret it. I'm planning a trip over Kearsarge Pass this summer, and just to be safe I reserved a site at Onion Valley for the night before.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

TehipiteTom wrote:
schmalz wrote:In general it's not ideal to drive from sea level and immediately hike to 12k feet. I'll probably be putting an increased emphasis on building in more acclimation time for my next big trip.
I'll second that. Every time I've done a strenuous hike after starting at sea level that day I've lived to regret it. I'm planning a trip over Kearsarge Pass this summer, and just to be safe I reserved a site at Onion Valley for the night before.
I think that the biggest contributor to getting AMS was pushing myself past my comfort zone. On the day 2 ascent when I dry heaved, I was pushing very hard to get to Lake Reflection as soon as I could.

The following day, I pushed myself as hard as possible to get up to my campsite before dark. I think that is probably the most tired I've ever been. I'm probably always suffering slightly from elevation on my trips, but I keep things in check enough where it doesn't become an issue. Pushing myself to my limit was probably my downfall.

I definitely learned to be more flexible and to listen to my body a bit more out there.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Magnificent photography; you may inspire me to put this loop on my list.

I thought I recognized a scene or two and so I dug around through the photographs of a trip I took to Reflection 10 years ago. This is not nearly as beautifully composed or photographed as your version (I love the color and water motion in your shot, not to mention the superior framing), but I thought you might smile to see that the same small rivulet captured both of us at different moments ten years apart. It was deja vue all over again for me
ferny creek-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
riverwalker
Topix Acquainted

Post by riverwalker »

Great TR! I have been inspired and look forward to being able to steal away for over a week to do this. Maybe with my boys when they get older.

BTW what tripod are you using. I have an older Gitzo CF tripod but would like to try to get a little lighter for my long trips. I seem to draw too much attention when I hike with mine:)