Women who hike...and the men who fear them

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Women who hike...and the men who fear them

Post by AlmostThere »

Rockchucker wrote:I find it amazing people of today's age can and will put some into catigories. We should be well past bigotry. Kind of sad. Sometimes I wonder how far have we evolved, some great leaps foward only to step back.
try being "female" on a forum some time.

I get interestingly variable responses before I out myself as female.

I am afraid we are still socialized this way... working with kids you can see them cataloging girl vs boy toys, behavior, etc from a very early age.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockchucker »

AlmostThere wrote:
Rockchucker wrote:I find it amazing people of today's age can and will put some into catigories. We should be well past bigotry. Kind of sad. Sometimes I wonder how far have we evolved, some great leaps foward only to step back.
try being "female" on a forum some time.

I get interestingly variable responses before I out myself as female.

I am afraid we are still socialized this way... working with kids you can see them cataloging girl vs boy toys, behavior, etc from a very early age.
Yea I guess but I feel like the move towards social equality moves at a snails pace. We humans are smarter than this. All forms of prejudging are indication of ignorance. Not that we don't all fall victim to labeling. But most recognize this as wrong. Trying not to involve politics, but this system we currently live with seems to perpetuate these stereo types. As a father I hope to show my son how incredible this world is. To waste what small time we have hateing. Maybe silly for me to believe but I do think it is us, the parents that will change this. It must be instilled to the youth by us the teachers, parents, mentors. It's beyond time for this to stop. People are people!
I'm no suture for my future.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Not wanting a woman to pass you is just plain stupid. ](*,) The scenery immediately improves! ;) I married a woman who could outhike me any day of the week and carry just as much. :smirk:

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Vaca Russ »

I would love to be able to wax on philisophically about this subject...
Rockchucker wrote: Trying not to involve politics, but this system we currently live with seems to perpetuate these stereo types.
Unfortunately I'm more like Mike...
oldranger wrote:Not wanting a woman to pass you is just plain stupid. ](*,) The scenery immediately improves! ;) I married a woman who could outhike me any day of the week and carry just as much. :smirk:

Mike
"Grunt...Girl!"
1%20girls[1].JPG
Um! Me Like!
3 Sport Stopped.JPG
Grunt....idea! :littledevil:

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Herm
Topix Regular

Post by Herm »

Thanks Vaca Russ - I know what you and OR mean, but more power to the women. I love to hike with my wife. She sets my slow pace. I am not in a hurry.
Herm
I am not in a hurry, so don't be hasty.