Wash your hair?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Wash your hair?

Post by balzaccom »

On longer trips, we think it is a real luxury to wash our hair. I am the expert at this, and manage to wash my hair in just about one cup of water. Here’s how I do it, using only a washrag, comb, Dawn, plastic cup, and towel.

1. Soak your head in water—get it very wet. This has the added value of making you scream out loud when the water is cold enough. Get the washrag wet as well.

2. Fill the cup full of water, and take everything on the list to an isolated spot far (200 feet or more) from the water. Sandy soil is best.

3. Put some Dawn in your hair and lather up. We like Dawn because it is very concentrated, and it is used by environmental agencies to remove oil from birds during oil spills. It’s gentle.

4. Facing down, use the washrag to rinse/rub the soap out of your hair.

5. Use the comb to comb as much of the soap out of your hair as you can.

6. Now take the cup of water and slowly pour it, a little bit at a time, over your head to rinse your hair. Scream again, if you’d like. Repeat until the entire cup is gone, and your hair is rinsed.

7. Dry your hair with the towel.

8. Comb out the tangles. More screaming. Use your mirrored sunglasses to see where to part your hair.

9. Arrive back in camp looking like a million bucks, and ask innocently: “What was all that screaming about?”

10. Feel good for days afterwards.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wash your hair?

Post by rlown »

no soap ever! It's just bad form regardless or how careful you are out there.

A good swim and a washcloth is all that should ever be required. But then, my head is generally cut to 3/8" max before every trip. makes it easy.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

What hair? :D Took that out of the mix years ago.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

I have to wash my hair or it just bugs me. Last year I had surgery on both ears for surfers ear and was unable to wash my hair for several weeks. I found a product at REI that is designed for washing hair without water. Just a spoonful in your hand, lather your hair and air dry. Works great in the sierras so you don't have to wash your hair with water. Phil
Last edited by overheadx2 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

maverick wrote:What hair? :D Took that out of the mix years ago.
Yup. What Mav said.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

hmm yeah just a dip in a lake is fine for me. Sand or mud for the stinky parts and I feel like a million bucks. If I felt the need to wash my head I would use sand or mud also.

I agree with rlown, no soap ever!

I am just dumbfounded when I see people lathering up IN a lake. I have also seen people shaving...I mean really? I consider it my "playoff beard" when I am on an extended hike. I usually refrain from shaving a few days beforehand to get a head start....it is a little superstitious but I like the thought of it bringing me good luck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robb
Topix Newbie

Post by Robb »

I just bring my MSR pocket shower along. Squeeky with minimal fuss and weight. The showers can be a little cold sometimes, but that's not the worst thing in the world.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Well, I think my hair would take more than a cup of water! I do wash my hair about every 6 days when I am on a long trip. I fill a 2-L platypus full of water and set it in the sun to solar warm for an hour. For the washing, I dunk my hair in the cold water - get it really soaked, pack my Platypus of warm water up the hill VERY far from the creek and find a hollow where the water will not drain back into the creek (may even dig a small hole), and apply lather, then rinse with the warm water. I use a VERY tiny amount of shampoo. The water in the mountains is so soft that you literally only need a few drops, even for long hair. Then down th the stream, fill the Platypus again with cold water, back up the hill, pour cold water over the hair (but not my scalp). By now it is pretty cean. Comb. Squeeze dry in a kerchief. Ice cold water on the back of the head (scalp) gives me a horrible pain and headache.

Method 2- fill the bear can with water and solar heat. (this only works if someone is with you to keep guard on the food while it is out of the bear can). Again- get far away from creek or lake, and wash. The bear can also makes a great washing machine for clothes.