Food strategies for quick 1/2 night trips?

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Food strategies for quick 1/2 night trips?

Post by schmalz »

Looks like I'll be doing a few 1 night trips again this summer. I wish I could swing more time off but at least I live close enough to the eastern sierra that I can pull off a quick weekend trip.

I don't really want to eat the stuff I normally do on longer trips (dehydrated food, oatmeal) for a one nighter. Weight is not really an issue but I'll be by myself so I'm not interested in elaborate meals. Anyone else have some favorite meals for these types of trips?
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
87TT
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Food strategies for quick 1/2 night trips?

Post by 87TT »

Freezer bag cooking! :nod:

http://www.trailcooking.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I'm going on an overnight with some friends this weekend. I'm taking goat cheese with cranberries and cinnamon, whole grain crackers, Thai food (boil in bag), a pre-mixed frozen cheese omelette (also boil in bag), and maybe some trail mix and Lara bars for lunches. I have a nice red wine to throw in a platypus.

It's one night. Live a little.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

an overnight or two? I'm not seeing the strategy problem other than weight or fire restrictions.

You take what you want:

Below fire restrictions: Steaks, mushrooms, garlic, bread, green beans or asparagus. Bread weighs nothing.

Above fire restrictions: Maybe the same as you're light anyway :D
Or go with a Pasta dish like a Pasta puttanesca (ala, TehipteTom) with some fresh cheeses.

Shorter trips for me mean carry more to enjoy the experience. I'd agree with AT on the wine, but it has to be complimentary to the dish.

This doesn't seem to be a hard problem.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

If you are below fire line I couldn't agree more about the steak. My friends and I have also gotten very attached to carna asada. 1-2lbs frozen in a ziplock and wrapped in a large piece of heavy duty aluminum foil keeps very well for a day deep in you pack. You want to make sure to use the heavy duty foil so you can triple it up and cook in it when you are ready. A package of tortillas, some cheese and a little hot sauce and I'm good to go. Follow that up with some canned peaches or pears and you got yourself a meal fit for a king. A lot of the time we will cook the meat before leaving and then just re-heat it for dinner. Much easier and can even be eaten without re-heating if you want, not as good unheated of course.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

"This doesn't seem to be a hard problem."

Nope, it surely isn't. I'm just looking for a little inspiration :) I figured there are some other weekend warriors on here and I'm curious about what other people do for these types of trips.

In my situation, I'll be above the fire line, and I'll be doing a lot of photography/hiking so there won't be much time to prepare food before dark. Looking for something quick/easy but tasty. I would like to avoid typical backcountry food (ie eating out of a bag) since there is no need for it at all. Weight or space is not a concern. Leaving the stove at home is fine too.

One random idea I had is backcountry bruschetta. I could buy a baguette in Bishop on Saturday morning, and then slice it up with some tomato, mozzarella, and garlic olive oil on top.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I used to love making Salmon Quesadillas using whole wheat tortillas, canned
wild salmon, jalapenos, and cheese, but you can sub the fish for chicken, beef
tofu or refried beans. Also a thick and hearty soup chocked full of chicken, noodles
and variety of vegetables makes for a satisfying dinner.
Since you mention weight is not an issue than take food that you really enjoy the
most.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I love 1 night trips. Usually precut fresh ingredients at home, freeze whatever cut up meat I want, create seasoning mix, bring tortillas and then make a stirfry--sometimes mex flavor sometimes szechuan--and scoop into tortillas. Also bring margarita mix,tequilla and wine when my wife is with me in hopes of getting lucky! :D

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

oldranger wrote:I love 1 night trips. Usually precut fresh ingredients at home, freeze whatever cut up meat I want, create seasoning mix, bring tortillas and then make a stirfry--sometimes mex flavor sometimes szechuan--and scoop into tortillas. Also bring margarita mix,tequilla and wine when my wife is with me in hopes of getting lucky! :D

Mike
Living the high life! I do several one- two night trips every year yet I still eat light purely for principle. I get a certain amount of satisfaction with a bit of deprivation.( besides water) it is good for the body to be caloricly deprived on occasion.
I'm no suture for my future.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I don't think most of us go out caloriclally deprived. But it is fun to splurge when you can on the shorter trips.

And Mike, you always bring the happy hour fixins, even if your wife isn't along! :p