Resupply services ?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
OzSwaggie
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Resupply services ?

Post by OzSwaggie »

We're having trouble with our hike planning this year, because only a short visit. This is the problem - we fly into Mammoth Lakes and about a week later will be at Muir Trail Ranch. If we send a resupply bucket the day after we arrive, It is possible that they might get our resupply bucket in time ... but it will be very close... We have tossed up the idea of just taking a chance that we can resupply from the free hiker bins if our bucket isn't there when we are... but I just wondered, given that the US has such a large hiking population, if there isn't a business somewhere that would ship a bunch of Mountain House type food directly to MTR for us, so we could order it before we even leave Australia... Anyone heard of something like this? I haven't, but it's worth a shot!
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Resupply services ?

Post by cloudlesssky »

I haven't heard of such a service but I'm sure someone on this side of the Pacific would be willing to help you out. I certainly would. Send a shopping list and agree to reimburse costs via PayPal or some other means and you'd be set up. Send me a PM if you're interested.

You're doing the JMT?

When I went through last August there was LOTS of food in the buckets at MTR. It was near closing time and I was rushed to pick up my resupply (they close promptly) so I didn't get a good look at the selection.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

how about sending it to VVR - not quite the same if you plan to hike all the way to Whitney, but you can pretty much bet on it to get up there, since they drive to town much more frequently.

You could even UPS it to them from wherever you live, as you don't need to send it in a 5 gallon bucket to them.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

gofastandlight.com

"FREE Pacific Crest Trail Resupply Service. Our web checkout system now permits you to set a shipping hold date. Purchase & reserve items up to 4 weeks in advance, then stagger shipments via US Postal Priority Mail to official resupply stations along your route. For official resupply addresses, click here. Cut your trip short ? Have to reschedule ? Call us to cancel or reschedule any remaining shipments. You will not be charged for shipments that are cancelled. There is no extra charge for this service. Our warehouse is located near the midpoint of the trail so postal rates are low and delivery fast. Whether you hike a portion or the entire trail, this service can help you go FAST and LIGHT. Contact goFastandLight.com during normal business hours for details. "