neighbor moved out

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

neighbor moved out

Post by markskor »

As I was going out to go to work, I noticed our downstairs neighbor was leaving.
Mammoth Lakes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountainman who swims with trout
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: neighbor moved out

Post by austex »

Man o man. You guys sure have an issue with bears in the community. Tug of war with people feeding them directly and indirectly by leaving trash out (not saying you); and the animal lovers. I'm an animal lover but I feel wild animals s/b wild. A fed bear is a dead bear.
I can see it now. "But boss I was late; I know it's Monday but there was a bear in my way"
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

Shouldn't bears still be hibernating? It seems awfully early in the season for them to be out and about. Pretty cool sighting, all the same!
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Betcha that dude is always late with the rent.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Shouldn't bears still be hibernating?
An old male with a prostate problem?
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Yes! Mark probably is! Dunno about the bear though. :D

I thought you already reported that bear and they'd have chased it off by now?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Cool picture. A little alarming tho to open the front door to that.

Black bears are not truly hibernating - they don't fall into that deep sleep from whence you can't wake them. They are active in Yosemite year round in some areas. If you stumble into a den the bear will probably wake up. Whereas you can dig up a marmot and play football with it, without waking it (not that I've tried).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I hope it is not a mommy bear, if cubs show up during the Spring things can get
pretty dangerous around there.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Great photo. Bears do get up occasionally, though they are actually really groggy and hard to wake in a den. This from biologists who weigh the cubs and even take blood samples from adults during denning.

I've seen tracks in the backcountry at 10,000' in March. They seem to get up, wander a bit, then go back to sleep. With warming (in the east especially) they're active later and often during the winter.

Reminds me of the great video of some guy in southern California, walking out of his alleyway while texting on his phone, then coming face to fur with a bear walking down the street! It's all about sharing space with our furry neighbors.

g.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

AlmostThere wrote: Whereas you can dig up a marmot and play football with it, without waking it (not that I've tried).
Glad you added the parentheses. I thought maybe this was what SAR folks did on their winter downtime to stay in shape!!!! Just kidding!!!
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead