Shuttle options from Mammoth to Tahoe

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Shuttle options from Mammoth to Tahoe

Post by cloudlesssky »

I'm tentatively planning a southbound Tahoe to Mammoth leg on the PCT next summer and am looking for transportation options from Mammoth to Tahoe (leave my car in Mammoth).

It looks like I could take the Eastern Sierra Transit bus from Mammoth to Carson and then take the Valley & Lake Express bus (21X) from Carson to Tahoe. The cost would be around $50.

Does anyone have an alternative/better suggestion?
austex
Topix Expert

Re: Shuttle options from Mammoth to Tahoe

Post by austex »

I think you nailed it. I haven't seen anything close. Looking from afar that's the best/most economical.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FeetFirst »

cloudlesssky wrote:I'm tentatively planning a southbound Tahoe to Mammoth leg on the PCT next summer and am looking for transportation options from Mammoth to Tahoe (leave my car in Mammoth).

It looks like I could take the Eastern Sierra Transit bus from Mammoth to Carson and then take the Valley & Lake Express bus (21X) from Carson to Tahoe. The cost would be around $50.

Does anyone have an alternative/better suggestion?
I'll be ending a trip in Mammoth and driving back home on Monday, August 26th and will be going through South Lake Tahoe. You're more than welcome to grab a ride. Let me know.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

Thanks for the offer! My wife tells me that my trip will be earlier in the season than I'd originally planned ;-) but if she's wrong I'll send you a PM.

Is your planned trip southbound from Tahoe to Mammoth?
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

How much would it cost to rent a compact car in Mammoth and drop it in Tahoe. I looked the other day, and it was $46/ day for a compact from the airport. I don't know what the drop off fee would be, but worth a look.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

That would vary with the company do ck all of them; some don't allow it at all. just go through the rez process w/o putting in your payment info and it will tell you whether or not you can do it and/or how much. Be sure to read the fine print/terms of the rental. Search like Kayak.com to get an idea who serves both MMH and RNO and then the appropriate car rental official site. Hope this helps.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

cloudlesssky wrote:Is your planned trip southbound from Tahoe to Mammoth?
Not this time, but that is on my list. I'd like to do a trip from Meeks Bay TH, Desolation Wilderness > Reds Meadow.

For this trip I'm going to start/end at Agnew Meadows doing a loop around Thousand Island Lake > Garnet Lake > Ediza Lake. My car will be parked at the Mammoth Mountain shuttle parking lot. I plan on going through South Lake Tahoe on my return trip to Sacramento to meet up with some old friends.

My dates are pretty much set in stone, so if you're in Mammoth on the 26th of August before night fall, my offer stands.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

FeetFirst wrote: For this trip I'm going to start/end at Agnew Meadows doing a loop around Thousand Island Lake > Garnet Lake > Ediza Lake.
You'll love it. I have a picture of Garnet Lake on my office wall that always reminds me of that beautiful area.
IMG_0087.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Awesome! I'm really looking forward to it - thanks.