Hike Planning

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hike Planning

Post by RoguePhotonic »

All great information. Thanks.

I certainly will have an ice axe when I start. How long I carry it will depend on the snow levels.

I always wear full grain leather boots now that hold water big time. If I have to slosh along in those then I will.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

A few photos and maps

Stanton Pass detour
Sky Pilot detour (dashed line)
Pass at head of Spiller Creek, Aug 15, 2010 (high snow year)
July 4, 2002 Sky Pilot Col from Shepherd Crest (almost sure this is correct)
gully from Shepherd Lake to Sky Pilot Col, Aug 16, 2010
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I have done the spiller to soldier route in reverse - piece of cake. You will have to pick the right spot to drop down off the ridge after you climb up from spiller lake, and also where the steep bit is above soldier lake, but you'll have no problems with it. Stanton pass with a lot of snow is definitely trickier that the spiller-soldier alternative(ice axe and crampons unless it is pretty soft); in fact I would take the alternative in any case as it is a really nice route, spiller and soldier lakes are both nice spots.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I'll certainly keep it in mind. I've never been a purist when it comes to routes so if skipping Stanton Pass gives me a more scenic route than I wouldn't care.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

So picking up on planning from where the list left off I have this: And the details are below.

June 29 - 29 - Trail Work
June 30 - 30 - Trail Work
July 1 - 31 - Trail Work
July 2 - 32 - Trail Work
July 3 - 33 - Trail Work
July 4 - 34 - Trail Work
July 5 - 35 - Reds Meadow
----------------------------------

July 6 - 36 - Pika Lake
July 7 - 37 - Cecil Lake
July 8 - 38 - Little Mcgee Lake
July 9 - 39 - Climb Red & White Mountain
July 10 - 40 - Pioneer Basin
July 11 - 41 - VVR
July 12 - 42 - Layover

July 13 - 43 - Big Margaret Lake
July 14 - 44 - Climb Sharktooth & Silver Peaks
July 15 - 45 - Climb Saddle Mountain
July 16 - 46 - Devil's Bathtub
July 17 - 47 - Climb Graveyard Peak & stay at VVR
July 18 - 48 - Layover

July 19 - 49 - Climb Volcanic Knob & Camp West of Recess Peak
July 20 - 50 - Hilgard Lake
July 21 - 51 - Climb Mt. Hilgard
July 22 - 52 - Seven Gables Lakes
July 23 - 53 - Big Moccasin Lake
July 24 - 54 - Three Island Lake
July 25 - 55 - Climb Seven Gables camp at Sandpiper Lake
July 26 - 56 - VVR
July 27 - 57 - Layover

July 28 - 58 - Florence Lake
July 29 - 59 - Upper Indian Lake

After all the trail work I have Reds Meadow listed because I may have to spend a day going into Mammoth to pick up a package from the post office. I think sending it there would be easier and cheaper then Reds Meadow store.

Then I plan to follow the Mammoth Crest past the Deer Lakes over to Pika. Then across Pika Pass and Franklin Col. From Cecil Lake I plan to go up Gemini Pass and go to the summit of Red Slate Mountain with my full pack on. Then descend it's SE side to Mcgee Pass.

I'll cross Hopkins Pass and then climb Mt. Crocker from Crocker Col. and descend it into Pioneer Basin. This is the first part that seems problematic to me. That early in July Crocker Col. may be a bad thing to go down. Fortunately I can always just go down the Hopkins Lakes drainage if I have to.

I'll go to the Devil's Bathtub using Pass 11,240.

Now from the lakes West of Recess Peak I will do the more difficult task of climbing the South East Arete will my full pack of 7 days of food to it's summit. Then follow the South East Ridge to Mist Peak and down it's South slope to Hilgard Lake. I imagine it will be a tedious job but since I have done all sorts of class 3 with a major pack i'm sure I can tough it out.

I'll do the West ridge of Mt. Hilgard.

I'll use Stough Pass from Seven Gables Lakes and climb Gemini as I go but here is where someone may be able to offer some insight. I want to pass into the basin West of The Pinnacles. My thought is to do so by rounding the South wall to Pemmican Lake. My concern is the only photo I have that slightly shows this wall shows mostly solid granite that may not be passable. Does anyone know more about it? If I could not pass around I would probably us Gemini to cross over rather then drop down to Piute Creek and back up.

From where it leaves off I will try to figure out what is the best way to go through the Red Mountain and Black Cap Basins. It's a complex area and i'm not sure what is best to do there with the time frame. Due to the resupply issues that we talked about before I may make some route South through it all and then into Tehipite Valley and then up the Middle Fork on some route to South Lake.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Rogue – just a couple ideas for your Red Mtn./Blackcap section:
I don’t know what your planned route is from Florence to Upper Indian, But may I suggest that you go by way of Thompson Lake, Thompson Pass, Red Rock Basin, and Reddy’s Hole. I skied through there a couple years ago and thought it would be nice country to wander through in the summer, and not many folks get in there. Excellent views are to be had from the ridge on the north of red rock basin – we went up to a point just about due north of the little ponds shown on the map in Red Rock Basin. Once into Red Mtn. Basin, Dale Lake is a nice spot. Hell-For-Sure Pass is worth seeing if you haven’t been over it before, and the view into Goddard Canyon is great. I crossed the divide a little north of Hell-For-Sure, at a little saddle NE of Arctic Lake, which also has great views.
Heading south, I’d go by way of Devil’s Punchbowl, Little Shot & Big Sot lakes, up their inlet stream and over the ridge towards Crabtree Lake. Two good options here: one is by way of Six Shooter, Wahoo, Holster & Bullet lakes to Gunsight Pass, Lake Confusion, and then into Blackcap Basin; another is by way of Roman Four , Horsehead and Mcguire Lakes and then up the shoulder of Blackcap Mtn. and right over its summit and down into Blackcap Basin that way. Enjoy the basin, then work your way out to the south at Crown Basin, then to Hummingbird Lake and over to Blue Canyon (bagging Finger Peak on the way), then over the saddle just east of Finger Peak and work your way down into Goddard Creek . You lucky dog, you.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I had planned on Mosquito Pass but I like the idea of Thompson Pass allot so I will go that way for sure.

So this is what I am thinking:

July 28 - 58 - Florence Lake
July 29 - 59 - Red Rock Basin
July 30 - 60 - Climb Mt. Shinn & Ward
July 31 - 61 - Hell For Sure Lake
August 1 - 62 - Lake Confusion
August 2 - 63 - Lake Ambition / Climb Reinstein
August 3 - 64 - Cathedral Lake
August 4 - 65 - Climb Finger Peak
August 5 - 66 - Tunemah Lake
August 6 - 67 - Layover
August 7 - 68 - Climb Tunemah Peak
August 8 - 69 - Lake 10,232
August 9 - 70 - Climb Scylla camp at Lake 12,080
August 10 - 71 - Muir Trail Tarns
August 11 - 72 - Upper Dusy Basin
August 12 - 73 - Parchers Resort

16 days with no resupply. Yikes!

I have Florence Lake listed as day one just in case I have to walk the 14 miles on road from VVR. Hopefully I will be able to get a ride and be in Red Rock Basin on night one but I will carry the food just in case. I'll move towards Hell For sure Lake by taking the trail / route that is shown on my National Geographic map crossing the ridge just North of Mt. Fleming so I might as well jump up on it's summit while I am at it.

Take Hutton Pass and bag the peak. Take Gunsight & Confusion Passes. Take Mantle & Dykeman Passes to Tunemah.

Leave Tunemah Lake moving North and traverse directly to Blue Canyon Peak and on to Blue Canyon Pass.

Cross Ionian Basin and up Nietzsche Col. Considering I would like to climb Mt. Solomons it might be best to just climb to it's summit with my pack and then drop straight down to Muir Pass.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

here's a few ideas for some wild places you may have not gotten to yet....

1. from leconte canyon, head up and go over rambaud pass and then you can climb mt woodworth... heck, maybe you can even work your way down into the enchanted gorge and then head north up to chasm lake. that would be a wild one for sure with no people.... taking time to explore the lakes east & north of rambaud pass/devils crags.

2. tunemah lake and then take the old sheepherders trail on down to goddard creek. another isolated experience.... taking time to explore the lakes below and east of tunemah.

3. further south, there's wlways pyra col conencting 9 lakes basin to kaweah basin. not as bad as pants pass.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I still do at some point want to do the Enchanted Gorge but I doubt it will be this year based on what I have been planning. I have looked into Rambaud Pass before but it sure does seem like a hell of a climb up there. Mt Woodworth would have been even more cool before the old register was removed.
tunemah lake and then take the old sheepherders trail on down to goddard creek. another isolated experience.... taking time to explore the lakes below and east of tunemah.
I'd really rather not end up back into that area of Goddard. It's a beautiful place but I need more time. The same goes with the lakes East of Tunemah. I'd love to visit those remote areas and take good pictures but I'm already at 16 days.

As for Kaweah Basin it is on my list for this year. I haven't planned that far South yet.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Here is the next installment This first section is based solely on my desire to go to the small lake SW of Lake 10,565 West of Observation Peak. The one with the weird bird shaped island. I don't imagine that lake has been visited by many people in it's whole history.

Since I have never been to the East side of the Palisade I thought I could make a cool loop back to Parchers by jumping over South Fork Pass and then Jigsaw Pass but considering all the noise associated with South Fork Pass I'm going to skip it.

As always the fine details are below.

August 14 - 75 - Dusy Basin
August 15 - 76 - Lake 11,120
August 16 - 77 - Climb Giraud Peak camp on Palisade Creek
August 17 - 78 - Lake 10,960
August 18 - 79 - Climb Mt. Shakespere camp at Lake 10,565
August 19 - 80 - Lake 10,240
August 20 - 81 - Layover
August 21 - 82 - Dumbbell Lakes
August 22 - 83 - Marion Lake
August 23 - 84 - Lake 10,240
August 24 - 85 - Climb Marion Peak camp at Marion Lake
August 25 - 86 - Leconte Canyon
August 26 - 87 - Dusy Basin
August 27 - 88 - Parchers Resort
August 28 - 89 - Layover

August 29 - 90 - Upper Dusy Basin
August 30 - 91 - Lake 11,676
August 31 - 92 - Climb Mt. Sill
September 1 - 93 - Lake 11,475
September 2 - 94 - Climb Goodale & Striped Mountains
September 3 - 95 - Lake 11,607
September 4 - 96 - Lake 11,388
September 5 - 97 - Layover
September 6 - 98 - Lake 11,680
September 7 - 99 - Climb Mt. Wynne & Pinchot
September 8 - 100 - Below Arrow Pass
September 9 - 101 - Climb Arrow Peak camp at Lake 11,000
September 10 - 102 - Paradise Valley
September 11 - 103 - Roads End

From Dusy I thought i'd take Isosceles Pass and if I have the energy bag Columbine & Isosceles Peaks. Then I would move from Palisade Basin to the Lakes South of Giraud Peak by the saddle on their East side. Anyone ever been on or seen this saddle? I have no idea if it can be crossed or not.

Pass from Palisade Creek over what I am calling Adventurer Pass West of Mt. Shakespere.

I'd take Cartridge Creek down to the Middle Fork.

The second section is based on an effort to search for Larry. I'd take Thunderbolt Pass into Palisade Basin then Potluck / Cirque / Mather Passes. I'd start at the lakes South of Taboose Pass and move slowly around that area while climbing all the peaks and meticulously searching the area.

The biggest problem with this planning from leaving VVR is Parchers has no fuel for my stove, Cedar Grove has none and then it's on from there so that could mean carrying 2 months of fuel.