Bearikade for JMT

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Bearikade for JMT

Post by DriveFly44 »

Trying to save up for a Bearikade for my JMT trip - been a little harder on a teacher's salary :( Just logged onto the site this morning and the new prices jumped to $299 for the Expedition - Ouch!!! I know you can rent them but no more JMT flat rate....just 45% off the $6/per day rental fee. Great bear cannister but it's getting harder to justify.

Ladd
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bearikade for JMT

Post by RoguePhotonic »

It all comes down to how much outdoor things you do. It's pretty much a life time investment unlike almost all other gear. I have been using an expedition since 2009 and I don't have any complaints.

After this long the O ring that gives it an air tight and water tight seal has become cracked badly and will leak if left sitting up in the rain. The aircraft cable that holds the lid on has also worn down and broken off. But that is after around 340 days of backpacking.
DriveFly44
Topix Regular

Post by DriveFly44 »

I hear you Rogue....just bummemd that it went up in price after trying to justify the $275. I know it's a quality product that will last a long time.

Ladd
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

What are your dates? I might be able to loan you one of mine.
DriveFly44
Topix Regular

Post by DriveFly44 »

That is very thoughtful and generous Paul. My permit is for July 4th and we will exit around the 2nd of August.

Ladd
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

After this long the O ring that gives it an air tight and water tight seal has become cracked badly and will leak if left sitting up in the rain. The aircraft cable that holds the lid on has also worn down and broken off. But that is after around 340 days of backpacking.
Rogue, you should contact Wild Ideas at 805-693-0550. I don't know what their warranty policy is, but I suspect they will fix your canister for free, or replace it. (Unless, that is, you've been using it as a cooking pot!)

Mike
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Seems extreme for them to replace it. I have checked their site for a new O ring but I would probably need to request it from them. Honestly it might be better not having that seal because it allows the can to breathe in the heat.

As for the cable I am not too worried about it but if I wanted it replaced I would have to send it to them since it has a strange mounting system to the can.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

RoguePhotonic wrote:Seems extreme for them to replace it. I have checked their site for a new O ring but I would probably need to request it from them. Honestly it might be better not having that seal because it allows the can to breathe in the heat.
The O ring also keeps smells from getting out so Mr. Bear has a harder time smelling them.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

I'm with Mike M. I would check with them on the warranty. Couldn't hurt to ask. I love my
expedition. They might repair it for little or no cost.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

They replaced my friends Bearikade bottom for 20 buxx when he punctured it. Just call them.