Dead Weight Items

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Dead Weight Items

Post by TahoeJeff »

Thanks for the details Dave. I thought you meant you had to use a firearm backpacking. I'll admit, 15 or so years ago I used to haul a Bersa 380 (Walther PPK knock off) around in my backpack. After a year or two I decided it was dead weight, and have left it home ever since.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

I didnt read the original post right. The only thing I carry now that is a little redundent is a water resistent jacket and a water tight poncho.

I have only needed the poncho a couple times, but it makes a nice groundcloth or shade.....it is at the top of my pack. When I stop, it comes out first and so I have a nice spot to spread out.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Sea to Summit Ultra-sil dry sack (1.6 ounces) for my down sleeping bag. Even though I've dealt with some iffy water crossings and quite a few thunder storms, I've never had water inside my pack.

Light my fire mini firesteel (1 ounce). The trusty Bic has never failed.

ACR emergency whistle (0.2 ounce).

50' 2mm Dyneema/Dacron hybrid solid braid cord (1.5 ounces).

Back-flush syringe for Sawyer Squeeze water filter (>.1 ounce).

First Aid Kit (3.5 ounces).

Sewing needle and small length of nylon thread (>.1 ounce).

Benchmade mini griptilian locking folder knife (2.5 ounces). While I have used this on trips a small pair of scissors would have worked much better. I should replace this with the small classic swiss army knife and save an ounce (knife, file, scissors, toothpick, and tweezers).
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by TRAUMAhead »

Extra mini Bic lighter (0.40 oz) and 2 extra titanium needle stakes (0.44 oz).

+1 for spare eyeglasses, or maybe superglue. I actually had an incident a year or two ago where my frame broke near the middle. I was out on a week long, backpack in, trail maintenance project. Surprisingly managed to tape it together good enough to hold the lens.

Forgot they were still on my desk, here's a picture of the hackjob. :lol:
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I find it interesting that several people carry extra stakes. I have never found rocks to be a rare commodity in the Sierra and I actually delete a couple of stakes from my tent package and find that when needed rocks work fine. Stakes are really just a convenience. Gdurkee taught me that lesson years ago when I was a novice BC ranger. I loaned a tent to a friend for a week long trip in September. And he was quick to point out that a stake was missing and I said, "yep, I know. If you need it use a rock."

Oh yeah remember you do not have to carry the rocks with you! :D And try to leave them where you originally found them, not as a rough outline of where you placed your tent.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I suppose it all comes down to how much time you want to spend on it. In the tree line that is a good way to cut out stakes because running your lines on sticks and then held by rocks is easy but above the tree line it's a bit more difficult to get it right.

I don't bring any extra stakes with me though.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

maverick wrote:What item/items have you packed for years/decades that you have never had to
use and never make it out of your pack?
Until 2008 I could have added emergency blanket to this list. However, the one-in-20-years storm on July 12 2008 changed all that - hypothermia setting in for my kids and myself, it was THE item that made the difference as we cowered in a tent set up on a cascading switchback just below Donohue Pass, with a foot of water standing in one end of the tent. 6" of hail outside the tent, mixed with icy rain. We huddled together wrapped in a semi dry sleeping bag with the emergency blanket around it. I will never consider leaving that item behind again, even though it only was used once in 30 years of hiking. In fact, I'd carry it on a short day hike - it can be more important than a water bottle.

markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Yes, I too carry one extra titanium needle stake for my Rainbow...
Forgot all about that extra luggage.

On another note, I do not consider a needle and thread, or a couple of small super-glue tubes, or even extra Bic's as dead weight items. To me these are part of my essentials and as such, always carried.
Chances are, even though not used for a few trips, they can also save the trip.

A few recent examples...
Last year, we were backside Bernice, just getting ready to hoist up and head out towards Florence. My gear-challenged, fishing buddy - Mike, OldRanger, ripped out some (necessary) suspension strap on his cheap pack...(why he carries 40+ pounds in a 35-pound-max pack mystifies me, but...), anyway, I broke out the Betsy Ross gear and saved his a$$, again.

Boots are my bane - tear them up. My Lowa Renegades had barely 400 miles on them and the toe-seam stitching started seriously unraveling, (Coming down just past Cony Crags and we still had 10 days to go, most off trail). I thought I was in serious trouble. Took a good hour or two but - Super glue atop stitching...cowboy camping at the Lyell Fork among the granite erratics and ferns...Cocktails and cheese on the river - full moon - problem solved. BTW, I bet there still is another trip in those boots.

Everybody carries multiple Bics...usually orange.
Mountainman who swims with trout
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Markskor

you were a life saver! Of course after a half an hour more pondering I would have figured it out. I always carry different colored bics. Then use the same color all summer so that one will be full. Problem is over the winter I forget which is which! :retard:

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

I think there's a difference between "dead weight" and "something not used".

Let me explain: I eliminated my old Boy Scout Knife from my "go bag" that rides in the outside pocket of my Kelty, because it was heavier than alternative "backup" knives. I deleted my old, canister style emergency kit with blanket, dried food, survival card reading material and a tube tent in it: it was heavy, had never been used and wouldn't be that useful in a bad situation. It was unused and not likely to be.

Now, contrast that with the little bottle of Potable Aqua I've carried in my pack for 30 years and never needed to use, because I always had a functional filter or could boil. This past summer, my brand-new Katadyn grenaded 3 days into a 7-day trek, leaving our group with only boiling or... treatment. With an intentionally limited supply of fuel, treatment it would be for drinking water. It was a beast to get that old bottle open, but it "paid for itself". I have a tube and a half of hexamine (like esbit) that's been with me for 30 years, too. The "half" part is because of a couple of days where it also paid for itself in terms of that weight and volume. I might not use it this time, but is sure isn't "dead weight".