Unacceptable Behavior!

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Unacceptable Behavior!

Post by maverick »

It was brought to my attention that one of our female members was harassed by PM
from another member a few months back.
This is a community of people who share their love and passion for the Sierra, and
if this other member does not care for what another member has to say, ignore it, but
don't be petty and a coward by sending a nasty PM.
We take care of our own here and this kind of attitude will not be tolerated, and even
though I am not a moderator I will make sure if this happens again Administration will
hear about it, I will out you, and embarrass the heck out of you the next time!
Now be a man with some character, PM her, and apologize.

PS Please do not PM me, will not divulge either persons name.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Unacceptable Behavior!

Post by austex »

W/O knowing what was said, but bad enough to bring it to light...It's amazing what people can say under the guise of the internet and probably would not say to their face. :\
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Mav,

If it happened now and it's not tolerated, it should just be reported to admin and let them deal with it. Not seeing the value of waiting till the next time. One can report hostile PM's directly to the Admin or Moderators.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Not for me to do Russ, was not asked to pursue it, otherwise you know it would
have been addressed, it was bought up in an unrelated PM.
This post is really addressed to the so called "man" who wrote it.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok,

so you're asked not to pursue it. and you are by advertising it. Anybody who feels harassed can go directly to the little exclamation point and click on it on the post bar and report it to admin/mods. If you don't see the exclamation point triangle meets your needs, go directly to ERIC Fair and swift.

The admin/mods will kindly work out the details and make a decision.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

What constitutes harrassment? Anything that offends? Or ????????.

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Confused -

Without knowing any details:

1) You were asked not to pursue this and yet, you actively are.
2) Why would you consider someone sending out a PM (and more importantly, signing their name to it) cowardly and / or harassment?
We have a right to disagree here... Open dialogue/ having different views is not harassment.
3) Just wondering why this thread was really posted.

If you have a gripe here with any member...Let an Admin know; we do not rely on rumor or innuendo.

Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

No place above does Maverick say that he was asked not to pursue the issue. He wrote that he was not asked to pursue it, quite different.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray