Advice On new Tent Please..Big Agnes?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Advice On new Tent Please..Big Agnes?

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Thanks, maverick. I didn't pay for the review on BPL, but the thread there and the other link are helpful.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Whoa! Check out the Big Agnes website. I looks like they are starting to make 2 person tents that actually fit two people! Problem with both is relatively low ceiling height! But they knock off about 3/4 lb from the UL 3 person tents.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
bluefish
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by bluefish »

Carne, my wife and I have used our BA Fly Creek 2 for quite a few nights in different climates/conditions. The worst problem has been ventilation. We've adjusted by guying the fly out using fulcrums of rock and/or branches to hold the fly up and out and adding a small piece of velcro to hold the door flap partially open, rather than all the way open or shut. I looked at the Platinum and see the mesh now goes all the way down to the tub, rather than the poorly breathing panels that are on the standard version. Reduced weight/increased ventilation. Had I known the problems inherent in the original design I would've chose differently. If the mesh solves the problem (our fly guying and door opening did it for us) then it's worth it in my opinion. I have no complaints otherwise.

Charlie
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Charlie, thank you for the info--exactly the kind of feedback I can use. I'm normally happy with just my OR bivy, but I'll be taking my son out this year for the first time. Since I'll have the increased weight of most of his gear, I'm hoping to shave weight wherever possible. Better ventilation and a pound less? That may have just sold me on the Platinum. Now, will REI special order it and give me the 20% member discount...? :cool:
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

I'm a long-time user of tube tents. I experienced it all with them -- rain, sleet, snow, high wind. They are light and they provide adequate emergency protection. But getting in an out is cumbersome and they are not the most comfortable. So, after last summer's lousy weather during my two-week stretch in the Sierra, I broke down and bought this lightweight one-person tent from Easton:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28787" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It weighs 1 lb 14 oz, has a side entry, uses lightweight but tough carbon fiber poles, and appears very well made. I'm eager to break it in this spring!

Mike