Agnew Meadows Warning

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
markoboston
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Agnew Meadows Warning

Post by markoboston »

Beware of relying on the shuttle buses for transportation from Agnew Meadows! I hiked out of the Ansel Adams Wilderness at Agnew Meadows, having left my car at Minaret Summit the day I started my hike, because I arrived at about 8:30 a.m., and shuttle buses become mandatory after 7:00. I had no trouble getting onto a shuttle bus from the summit to Agnew Meadows that morning, but I went through an ordeal when I finished my trip several days later. I reached the road about 2:30 p.m. Supposedly there are buses every 20 minutes in each direction. I waited 30 minutes and saw 3 buses pass in the downhill direction. Finally, an uphill bus came, but the driver wouldn't stop because it was full. I waited another 30 minutes or so, during which two more uphill buses went by, also full and not willing to pick up passengers. Meanwhile, the number of frustrated backpackers waiting for a bus at Agnew Meadows was steadily growing. Finally, in desperation, I got onboard the next DOWNHILL bus, in hopes of going far enough down the road in the wrong direction to be able to transfer to an uphill bus that wasn't full yet. While heading down the road in the wrong direction, I talked to the bus driver, who said that this happens EVERY DAY. The bus operators basically don't give a hoot about backpackers at Agnew Meadows. They are mainly interested in meeting the needs of the tourists who will spend money at their concessions and take a few pictures of the Devil's Postpile. So, what should have been a 15- or 20-minute ride from Agnew Meadows to the summit turned into an hour and 40-minute ordeal. So, drive to the trailhead before 7:00, choose a different trailhead, or budget 2 hours for the afternoon bus ride from the trailhead to the parking lot.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Agnew Meadows Warning

Post by markskor »

Been there...
Better to take the free shuttle- It goes in a loop from Reds (Postpile) to Agnew - and subsequently pick up the $$ uphill bus to the summit where it usually departs...at the little kiosk/building down below, at the trailhead to Postpile.
Once full, (as it usually is all summer), the summit bus does not stop for anybody.
Mountainman who swims with trout
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

I'm confused, probably because I've never picked up the bus anywhere but Reds (and that only twice). There are two flavors of buses? One costs money and doesn't pick anybody up and the other is free and does? Hmmm... which to choose.... hmmm... :cool:
—B²
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

BSquared wrote:I'm confused. There are two flavors of buses? One costs money and doesn't pick anybody up and the other is free and does? Hmmm... which to choose.... hmmm... :cool:
Try to help -
Yes two buses, they share some of the same road, but...
One (the free one) only makes ~ 10 mile loop and stays low, a shuttle around the San Joaquin River area...Agnew - Sotcher - Red's - Postpile - Agnew again.
The second one costs and only goes from Red's Meadow kiosk up to Mammoth Tavern main lot and back...It too passes Agnew Meadows bus stop along the way but will not stop if full. If going up to Mammoth from Agnew, best to grab the free shuttle bus going the opposite way desired and transfer at Red's to the other bus up ($7 pp...good all day for round trip).
This tactic avoids the original posters 2-hour misgivings.
Mountainman who swims with trout
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

I'm planning a 3-4 night trip at the end of summer that tenatively begins/ends at Agnew Meadows and while browsing the forums for route ideas I came across this thread - very helpful!

I've never been to the Mammoth Lakes/Ansel Adams Wilderness area and was wondering if there are any other insider tips that anyone cares to share. Thanks!

I'm also trying to pin down the logistics of driving in on a Friday afternoon from Sacramento for a trip beginning early the next morning. Is there a backpackers' campground near the Mammoth Mountain Main Lodge (long-term parking)?
Last edited by FeetFirst on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

If insider tips you mean the best places to visit, then use the "search" function
at the top of this page, and you will get numerous hits with many TR's and
advice about the Minarets area.
For example:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4252&p=25512&hilit= ... ake#p25512" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6644&p=46065&hilit=+minarets#p46065" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com/minaret/minaret001.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In regards to where to stay the night, either look at this: http://www.visitmammoth.com/things-to-do/camping/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a site ahead of time or if you have a truck with a camper or an
SUV spend the night in it at the parking lot.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Thanks for the response, Maverick. I'm definitely utilizing the information available in the forums, which has been very helpful. By insider tips I meant more along the lines of Marksor's shuttle shuffle tip above. Thanks again.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.