The Steens

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

The Steens

Post by oldranger »

This range was just mentioned by Dave54 in response to a request for info by LMBSGV. I was going to post a link to a TR about the Steens that I had posted a few years ago. But guess what--I never posted. So here are a few pics. The Steens is a fault block range, composed of layers of volcanic flows, that pops up out of the Alvord Desert to the east. The east face of the range is precipitous while the west slope is gradual, sloping up from Malhuer Wildlife Refuge (large wetlands). Primary vegetation, as dave indicated, is sagebrush and the remarkable stands of aspen but there are also thousands of acres covered by juniper. However in addition to the geology the most notable feature of the area, in my opinion, is the wildflower display that typically peaks around mid july. I was truly astounded at the color that was displayed on my visit--especially the flowers dispersed within the sagebrush--never seen that before.

The roaded access is mostly graded gravel suitable for any passenger car. However!!!!!!!!! the lower part of the southern section of the "Steens Loop Road" is one nasty motha! It was no problem for the 4 runner and a more civilized SUV (e.g. Subaru Outbacks etc.) can negotiate the road as well. But I would never consider taking the Prius over that stretch of the road.

There are several campgrounds in the area--in july the lower ones are hot and the higher ones (7,000 ft. or so) can be cold or refreshingly cool, and sometimes quite windy. And when the flowers peak--so do the mosquitos.

The Steens is a perfect 4 day trip from Bend (or longer if you take backroads).

As I recall the quality of the pics was impacted by smoke from a fire to the west.
Wildhorse lake.jpg
Kiger Gorge.jpg
WH Flowers.jpg
Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The Steens

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

I made a trip to Steens a few years back, during my quest for native trout and I spent a couple of days there and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I slept out at night and marveled at the blanket of stars that were so vivid in the high desert air. The fishing was pretty good, too. Definitely a place I will go back to someday.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi OR,

Very nice! iI reminds me of the Chinese Wall in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. Thanks
for posting this.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Here is another pic of the entire Steens Range from about 40 miles east.
Steens.jpg
Same range from same distance but from west. (wikipedia says it is one mountain not a range)
Steens from W..jpg

Also there is a road to a communication site on the very peak. It is the highest road in oregon at over 9700 ft. but there is a locked gate about 1/2 mile from the summit so the public can walk but not drive the top portion of the road. Earlier this winter some workers were stranded up at the site for a few days after getting caught in a snowstorm.

mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Cool photos. I always wanted to check out Steens Mountain...might have to wait until I have more time, though.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

On a semi-related side note -- I got a cell signal on top from near the gate. I had to plug in the cell booster and a larger antennae, and then only got 1 bar. I don't know the nearest cell tower from there, but it must be a good distance. All the more reason to go there... :lol:

We spent a couple days just hiking around the adjacent NWR.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=