The Ultimate Sierra Backpacking Trip (past and future.....)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The Ultimate Sierra Backpacking Trip (past and future.....)

Post by markskor »

Ultimate trip you ask…been pondering…good winter thread this…depends.

Like many here, have been backpacking for, what it seems like, forever…easily over 2500 Sierra bag nights.
Starting out as a teen-age, dirt-bag, clueless wanderer – religiously pre-planning everything and always keeping to the trails (mostly). Under a half-dozen squeaky Kelty Tioga externals, my old high school art teacher (@Flintstone Tech in the SFV), introduced a few of us students to the Muir and the rest is history. BTW, my first real backpacking adventure was the entire JMT broken down into 5 one-week “student” sections, and I did it all. That particular trip could stand out a definite candidate on anyone’s ultimate trip list.

Got into big wall-climbing for a spell… (Valley walls mostly)…Camp 4 denizen…a real PB – Park Bum…spent many a summer month those years hiding out in the Valley. That first overnight climb of the HD face – (30 + pitches and the thrill of Porta ledge living) - made this particular 2-day trip (one night on the wall and one night atop the Dome) stand out as another ultimate.

A few years later, after having another hiking buddy drop out last minute, again…(always had hiked with the company of others), I discovered the serenity that comes with hiking solo. My third trip of the Muir (could have been the fourth) marked this prodigious milestone. As the planning part, always so meticulously structured before, was thrown out the window…having already seen the trail, I ad-libbed it. Somehow my reserved, 2-person, 21-day, wilderness permit turned into a circuitous, solo, 32-day, fishing adventure. No schedules – no pre-arranged white buckets of food sent, no hard plans…serendipity…the Ultimate JMT.

Took up fishing seriously and dropped the big walls soon after my son was born… (Wife’s orders) and subsequently trod the TYT, Fallen Leaf to Yosemite Valley. Having the good fortune to tag along with a master “chronic” angler that trip, we spent a glorious 2 weeks – him teaching and catching, me fumbling and swearing…another notable Ultimate Sierra adventure.

As the angling side of backpacking became more obsessive, rather than the long miles and peak-bagging days of a previous life, now getting off trail became more important. Why…That is where the great fishing lies – off trail. Plus, I was getting older and realizing that the masses could be easily avoided with but a little effort and crowded trails were just a conduit to places more remote. Now instead of structured trips of yore, all pre-arranged and highly mapped out before the hike…I just load up my pack with 10 days of provisions, pack some plastic, and go. Plans always change anyway…accept this; chose some place like Tuolumne to start out, pick a general target destination, and go with the flow.

Last year, Mike, OldRanger, invited me to join him… (Who knows why, but am truly thankful)… for 34 days or so, all in the Yosemite area. Where we were going was probably brought up beforehand but who ever listens to Mike? He picked me up in front of the Curry Arch and my latest ultimate trip was on. We spend countless days fishing, half off-trail; hardly saw a soul, and culminating with our successful 19-day, 95 mile, Yosemite 5-slam. FYI, being solo does have its merits but hiking with someone else, even if it was Mike, made this trip special.

Concluding this rambling diatribe, my 107 Sierra days last season; all in the Yosemite back-country were probably my ultimate backpacking adventure to date. I know my 400+ miles hardly compare to our own Rogue’s pre-planned itinerary, but fairly substantial nonetheless. However, just got another invitation letter from Mike and again he won’t say where we are going this upcoming year…sigh…no matter, probably just another ultimate adventure to come.

Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Markskor wrote:
Starting out as a teen-age, dirt-bag, clueless wanderer
Having the good fortune to tag along with a master “chronic” angler that trip, we spent a glorious 2 weeks – him teaching and catching, me fumbling and swearing…another notable Ultimate Sierra adventure.
probably just another ultimate adventure to come.
Well Mark, except for the fact that you are now an old fart everything seems pretty much the same. ;)

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

oldranger wrote:Markskor wrote:
Well Mark, except for the fact that you are now an old fart everything seems pretty much the same. ;)

Mike
Not exactly Mike...Well yes, still a clueless, dirt-bag, back-country wanderer but now I can occasionally get lucky and catch a fish and best of all, I do know how to cook 'em. :wink:
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

There are at least 5 people on HST (I'm not one) who outdo the rest (not to belittle the rest). Markskor is one of those. I remember when I was first pointed to HST (by gb). I was eager to know of people with more breadth and depth of experience than mine. I had never met anyone with more, even though I am very gregarious on the trail. This has been a treat. I know I've gotten more from it than I've contributed. This thread really facilitates my appreciation of HST. Thank you to everyone.

(saint) Diane in the backcountry from 2007.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mshields
Topix Acquainted

Post by mshields »

Some nice reflections thus far......

I guess it it my turn to share; since I started the thread and have not answered my own question :whistle:

Let me begin by sharing the same sentiment that CrossCountry did; I consider it a privilege to be able to share a forum with such great members. Since joining HST two years ago, my interest in backpacking has expanded from an "enjoyable outing" to a "year round passion"; HST has been instrumental in this transition. While my experience in the "Range of Light" is limited to a few outings a year (never more than a week), these few escapes fuel me year round. It is great to be able to participate in this community and learn about the tools and resources that help make these outings more enjoyable and rewarding. THANKS

As for the questions:

1) My ultimate backpacking trip thus far was my High Sierra Trail venture from this past July.(viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
It had many of my ingredients for a good time:

* Decent Fishing (Hamilton Lake, Kern River, Guitar Lake)
* Good Scenery (diverse & beautiful/ places like Precipice Lake will stop you dead in your tracks)
* Fair Weather (sunny,warm,and a few afternoon T-showers to cool us off)
* Duration (a 7 day trip might seem like a drop in the bucket for many, but it is huge for me)
* Good Company (being able to share it all with a great team)

2) As far as my Ultimate, I would have to agree with Almost There by stating "the next one". I have set my sights on a Northern Yosemite loop (jpeg) The main excitement for me this time around will be integrating some cross country into the route (will be my first off trail Sierra travel). I have been fortunate to receive some HST input and guidance on this one.
(viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8345" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Northern Yosemite Loop.jpg
My Ultimate-Ultimate trip would be to embark on any one of the epic trips mentioned in this thread (i.e. Wandering Daisy's, Marksor's, LMBSGV's, RougePhotonics' etc.) This is not my lot in life right now, but should I ever get the opportunity I will surely seize it.

Happy Trails !(and/or off trails)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

OK, I'll join in. I'm not as seasoned as many here, but I have been at it for awhile and have had some tremendous adventures (at least in my mind :) )!

Ultimate trip past? Some of my longer trips (Like the OP, 9 days is a long trip for me with my longest ever being 11) make good candidates for such accolades. Headwaters of Bear Creek for 9 days in June 1977. Early trip with my brother Jim and high school friend Glen. I had been on 5 trips prior, but this one really hooked me. Off and on rain producing memorable sunsets and my first experience of viewing a very large rockfall (from a safe distance). Very cool!!! The Palisades Basin/Amphitheater Lake in trip 79. I can still feel the remoteness under the Palisades. Or the South Lake to Sawmill Pass trip in 82.

All great, but my fondest memory of a backpacking trip occured on a 4 day trip out of Florence Lake with my wife Deb in 89.

We took 2 days to get there and had a marvelous trip Saw some folk on day 1, but didnt see another soul until mid day on day 4. After a pretty tough cross country route in we had a stunning alpine lake to ourselves for 2 days and had what I consider my best ever backpacking meal as discussed here viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5847" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My wife loved the mountains, but couldnt understand my love of the wilderness. Debs an artist who likes to paint and draw and she had prought along her pencils and charcoals for the trip. As I fished she sat, sketched, and soaked in the sheer beauty of the sun setting over a gorgeous alpine lake. The setting was serene and what I would call pure wilderness. Nobody else around for miles and just the two of us soaking in alpenglow of our own little slice of paradise found. As I joined back up with her she smiled and told me that she now understood the draw these places have on my soul. It was a magical moment for both of us and one i will never forget. Her packing activity peaked in the next few years and it was a truly memorable period in our lives. Another tid bit about that trip, Deb had been a tad moody/testy at periods on this trip , which is not her typical demeanor. The next week she found out she was preganat with our son Josh. There were actually three of us on that trip!! No wonder Josh like backpacking so much!!!

As for ultimate trip future, I'll go along with everyone else and say the next one, which hopefully will be an 8 day trip from Cottonwood to Shepard Pass, but only time will tell. The SE corner of Yosemuite sems pretty inviting as does the WHite Divide. Again, only time will tell.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Future trip? I would extend the High Route to the south...
For trip report of an extension of the High Route to the south, visit:
http://sierrahiker.home.comcast.net/~si ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Bill, it's good to see you posting here. I always enjoy reading your trip reports. This one describes a nice southern high route, most of which I've done over the years. The only leg I've missed is the area south of the Big Arroyo -- for some reason, I've always found an excuse to avoid Mineral King and environs.

Mike
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

My favorite trip was a 17 day loop in north Yosemite in 1977: Virginia Lakes -> McCabe Lakes -> Benson Lake -> Seavy Pass -> Kerrick Canyon -> Tilden Lake -> Jack Main Canyon -> Dorothy Lake -> Upper Piute Meadow -> Tower Lake -> Kerrick Meadows -> Rock Island Pass -> Burro Pass -> Matterhorn Canyon -> Virgina Lakes. Runner up was the JMT in '74. Spent 30 days, with a layover day every week.

My wish list starts with Roper's High Route. I have done 2 sections already, but would like to do it all in one shot. I still have a long list of places to visit, some provided by a dear friend who makes his home and business in Mammoth.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

mshields wrote:2) As far as my Ultimate, I would have to agree with Almost There by stating "the next one". I have set my sights on a Northern Yosemite loop (jpeg) The main excitement for me this time around will be integrating some cross country into the route (will be my first off trail Sierra travel). I have been fortunate to receive some HST input and guidance on this one.
I remember that thread. You have a great route there...that is really going to be one fantastic trip!