Needed: Gentler Trails for Those Growing Old

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Needed: Gentler Trails for Those Growing Old

Post by giantbrookie »

Wow, my sympathy to your wife for a really rough year. As for suggestions for easy hikes that are scenic and nice I second SSS Dave's suggestions of Saddlebag and Little Lakes Valley. Those two are always tops on my list. I also agree that Leavitt Meadow based hikes are easy. A few others:
Virginia Lakes area (out of Bridgeport). very short hikes from trailhead get you to some nice spots. A bit like Saddlebag country but not as popular.
Mokelumne Wilderness: Kinney Lake from Ebbetts Pass. Granite Lake and vicinity from Blue Lakes, Winnemucca and Round Top Lakes.
I-80 country: Grouse Ridge area (Island Lake and vicinity, Lindsay L. and vicinity)'
Lakes Basin and vicinity: Long Lake (big shoreline and can find a spot to yourself)
Tamarack Lakes (can 4-wheel there)
Jamieson Creek drainage.
Buck Lakes Wilderness: Gold Lake

Although my wife and I have done our share of "death marches" we've done a full spectrum of trips and we enjoy "motel camping", too, with little dayhikes while staying in places such as Bishop, Lee Vining, South Lake Tahoe, and Quincy. The destinations above can be done as easy backpacks, as part of car camping, or as part of "motel camping" hiking trips.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

@ Roads End in Kings Canyon is another obvious choice....some rocks and roots to deal with.

Might be too soft, but hiking desert washes you would have endless choices. Of course you dont want to do that 4 months out of the year, but
js hill
Topix Acquainted

Post by js hill »

Hi Tom. I had miniscus surgery in Oct. 2011 and I am 62 years old. This past summer my wife and I hiked 90 miles on the JMT. As long as I didn't push myself too hard, I did okay. We averaged about 10-12 miles a day. My knee would periodically pop and crack like it was getting an adjustment from a chriropractor but the pain was tolerable and we had an enjoyable backpacking trip. A few months ago, I stumbled upon some inserts for my shoes/boots called Good Feet (Goodfeet.com). These inserts have really helped reduce my knee pain and have increased my knee mobility and flexibility. They claim to help align your feet, ankles, knee, hip, and spine. I do know that my posture has improved. I also suffered from planters facitus but no longer. In addition my knee no longer "pops" when I hike. We live in the Southern California Mtns. and we hike about 4 times a week. I know I sound like a salesperson but I believe I have several more years of backpacking left in me that I wouldn't have if I didn't have these inserts. A couple more things to consider: Have your wife continue to see a GOOD physical therapist and you should cut down on the amount of weight you carry. I used to carry 55 lbs. or so but believe me, 28 lbs. is much better. You don't want to cause injury to YOUR joints. I hope your wife's health coninues to improve and that you both enjoy many more years together on the trails of the High Sierra. js hill
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

I want to thank everyone who has replied for all your thoughtful responses. I am checking out all the trails suggested. I have ordered and received the Creaky Knees guides for N-CA, OR, & WA. I will be taking my wife to the Good Feet store in Sac. this weekend. We do cycle easy places for fun and gentle exercise, but don't think cycle camping would work for us. I love canoe camping and whitewater canoeing; I used to be a Red Cross canoeing instructor. Many years ago when we were young, I tried to teach my wife how to do all the outdoor activities I did. What I learned is that for some couples it is better to pay someone else to teach a spouse how to do some of those things. She did fine with backpacking and nordic skiing, but unfortunately, I was not the best person to teach my own wife downhill skiing and canoeing. The canoe just went in circles and she to this day hates downhill. I think her knees would stave up in the canoe anyway, but I DO appreciate the suggestion.

If anyone thinks of other trails or other ideas to suggest, please continue to offer them. Again, thank you all for your kind replies. Happy trails!
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Hi,

It sounds like you live in the Bay Area. Where? I'm sure I can think of some flat-ish or gentle hikes around here. China Camp is a nice place for that.

And: Check out backpackinglight.com. Just sayin' :)

- Elizabeth
bluefish
Topix Acquainted

Post by bluefish »

Lots of excellent info. I'll add about a fourth vote for Little Lakes Valley, a second on desert hikes like Joshua Tree(phenomenal in April) and add for high trail heads- Horseshoe Meadows if you stay low and don't go up Trail or Cottonwood Pass. My wife and I both are up in age and joint deterioration. The insoles are VERY helpful. Ultralight backpacking principals have added years and miles also. I now carry about 30 with flyfishing gear included and my wife carries 17 for a 3-4 day trip. One more thing that we've found indispensable- trekking poles. We both use 2 all the time. May you and your wife enjoy many more trips together.
chrisdiercks
Topix Acquainted

Post by chrisdiercks »

Hi Tom, although this is not exactly the "Sierra Nevada mtns.", Mt. Lassen is mostly rolling terrain with loads of volcanic features, trees, and lakes. Gets a fair amount of snow each year too.

Chris
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

oleander wrote:...It sounds like you live in the Bay Area. Where?...
Wilton is about 25 mi. SE of Sacramento, 10 mi. E of Elk Grove.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

js hill wrote:....I stumbled upon some inserts for my shoes/boots called Good Feet (Goodfeet.com). These inserts have really helped reduce my knee pain and have increased my knee mobility and flexibility. They claim to help align your feet, ankles, knee, hip, and spine. I do know that my posture has improved. I also suffered from planters facitus but no longer. In addition my knee no longer "pops" when I hike. We live in the Southern California Mtns. and we hike about 4 times a week. I know I sound like a salesperson but I believe I have several more years of backpacking left in me that I wouldn't have if I didn't have these inserts.....l
J.S., we went to the Good Feet store today and bought the inserts along with a better pair of shoes. Nancy noticed a pronounced difference immediately. I spent several hours this afternoon and night reading about pronation, then about the foot's structure and how it works. She has large bunions (that don't hurt), which are caused by overpronation and I learned that overpronation also transfers misaligned stresses to the knees and hips. It sounds like a lot of her difficulties in the knee (and she has some hip pain too) might be related to her feet. This makes us think she needs to see a podiatrist, so when she sees the orthopedist in mid-January, she plans to ask about that, a chiropractor, as well as more physical therapy.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know how well the inserts seem to be doing and to thank you for the suggestion. You may well have opened the door to some significant healing and added years of my wife's ability to enjoy hiking. We are grateful for what you have given us as well as grateful to this site for making this sharing of information possible.
mshst
Topix Newbie

Post by mshst »

The trail around Tenaya Lake and Mirrow Lake in Yosemite NP are easy and flat. Taft Point and the Fissures trail near Glacier Point is a very easy one, too.
Also there are many easy trails in the Hiking in California guide book (link below) by Tom Stienstra & Ann Marie Brown:
http://www.amazon.com/Moon-California-H ... california" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wish your wife getting better sooner.