Monarch Divide trip report

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Tom,
Great trip report! My wife and I took a 9 day trip through the same area in late June this year (and most of the lakes were still pretty much iced over), and like you, it was the first time we'd been up Copper Creek in a long time (1978, actually). I think that long, hot hillside is a bit of a deterrent (and there were no snakes when we went through). What we found most remarkable (as you noted) is that these relatively accessible lakes (all the way up and into Marion Lakes basin) remain amazingly pristine. Well, the panoramas were stunning, too. I keep trying to remember if there is any other area in the Sierras where one gets views that stretch as far in every direction. Sure, there are spots where one gets a dynamite 180 degrees, even 240, but on some of the ridges in that area, it's 360, and your photos do a great job showing it. I definitely plan to go back-early season helps with the heat factor!
CG
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

cgundersen wrote:Hi Tom,
Great trip report! My wife and I took a 9 day trip through the same area in late June this year (and most of the lakes were still pretty much iced over), and like you, it was the first time we'd been up Copper Creek in a long time (1978, actually). I think that long, hot hillside is a bit of a deterrent (and there were no snakes when we went through). What we found most remarkable (as you noted) is that these relatively accessible lakes (all the way up and into Marion Lakes basin) remain amazingly pristine. Well, the panoramas were stunning, too. I keep trying to remember if there is any other area in the Sierras where one gets views that stretch as far in every direction. Sure, there are spots where one gets a dynamite 180 degrees, even 240, but on some of the ridges in that area, it's 360, and your photos do a great job showing it. I definitely plan to go back-early season helps with the heat factor!
CG
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the TR & pics. I agree with you--I think the Monarch Divide has some of the best panoramic views in the range. And they're everywhere--we were rarely without them, and almost never more than a few minutes' walk from some breathtaking panoramic view.

Must have been a ton of snow up there in June. Where all did you go?
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Great TR and photo's. The Copper Creek trail was one of my first Sierra hikes. I'm huffing and puffing just thinking about it. It sure is all worthwhile after topping out tho!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Tom,
OK, at the risk of inspiring boredom, but also maybe providing inspiration, this was our route (which reflected the usual spot decisions when thunderheads were brewing, or when exhaustion set in before noon): day 1 was to Grouse Lake; from there it was a short jaunt to the saddle overlooking the uppermost Glacier Lake (a beautiful spot at ~11,400 ft with columbine already in bloom and that stunning northern panorama). From there it was down Glacier Valley, on trail to Horseshoe Lakes and then across to Lake 10236 (lotsa bugs on this stretch, even in late June)! Next day it was hopping and traversing on the south side of Cirque Crest where we reached the lakes immediately below (and south of) State Peak. They were spectacular, and the place most worthy of a return visit! The next day was fun, because it's among the few times that the best route was to go over the top of a peak (Dougherty; the views from up there were the best of the trip!). The un-named lake on the other side of Dougherty was so pretty, we stopped there. Then, the eighth night was spent at the the 10620 Kid Lake. The last night was back above Glacier Lakes, and then down and out (it was an oven at Cedar Grove, so I can hardly imagine setting off on the uphill portion of the Copper Creek trail on a day like that!). And, as you noticed, the area is very lightly travelled. In fact, aside from running into a guy who had tried to bag Goat Peak on a day hike (on the way in), we did not see another soul till we got back to Cedar Grove! Well, actually, some nutcase had climbed a snowpacked couloir to get around the lower part of Dougherty (as I discovered on a day hike after we'd gone over Dougherty)
Last edited by cgundersen on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

cgundersen wrote:Hi Tom,
OK, at the risk of inspiring boredom, but also maybe providing inspiration, this was our route (which reflected the usual spot decisions when thunderheads were brewing, or when exhaustion set in before noon): day 1 was to Grouse Lake; from there it was a short jaunt to the saddle overlooking the uppermost Glacier Lake (a beautiful spot at ~11,400 ft with columbine already in bloom and that stunning northern panorama). From there it was down Glacier Valley, on trail to Horseshoe Lakes and then across Windy Ridge to night 3 at Lake 10236 (lotsa bugs on this stretch, even in late June)! Next day it was mostly east to the gap between Red Point and Marion Peak and on to the little pond about 400 ft above Marion Lake (great thunderstorm that pm). Fifth day was a short jaunt due south to the trio of lakes south of Marion Peak. Day six (the hardest off trail of the trip, but we were getting well acclimated) was hopping and traversing on the south side of Cirque Crest to the lakes immediately below (and south of) State Peak. They were spectacular, and the place most worthy of a return visit! The next day was fun, because it's among the few times that the best route was to go over the top of a peak (Dougherty; the views from up there were the best of the trip!). The un-named lake on the other side of Dougherty was so pretty, we stopped there. Then, the eighth night was spent at the the 10620 Kid Lake. The last night was back at Grouse, and then down and out (it was an oven at Cedar Grove, so I can hardly imagine setting off on the uphill portion of the Copper Creek trail on a day like that!). Anyway, if I had to do it over again, I'd skip the Windy Ridge part, but the rest was great. And, as you noticed, the area is very lightly travelled. In fact, aside from running into a guy who had tried to bag Goat Peak on a day hike (on the way in), we did not see another soul till we got back to Cedar Grove! Well, actually, some nutcase had climbed a snowpacked couloir to get around the lower part of Dougherty (as I discovered on a day hike after we'd gone over Dougherty)
Wow! That sounds like an awesome trip! I've often wondered about those lakes south of State Peak--they look like they'd be remote and spectacular. Thanks for the (definitely not boring) route description.
wingding

Post by wingding »

Great report and pictures! Thank you for sharing. One of the pictures on part 4 doesn't show up - just a white space where it should be.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

wingding wrote:Great report and pictures! Thank you for sharing.
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed them. :)
One of the pictures on part 4 doesn't show up - just a white space where it should be.
Thanks for the tip. Turns out I accidentally deleted one of my photos in Flickr. :o It's fixed now.