Christmas Greeting

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Christmas Greeting

Post by oldranger »

HST Greeting.pdf
(The attachment didn't download like I expected but I think if you click on it you can see some pics. Unfortunately they are not as High resolution as I had hoped.)

The snow is falling softly outside my study and anticipation of my first skiing of the season is growing. Christmas in an isolated mountain village awaits. All of my kids and grandkids with Kathy and me for the first time since Christmas of 2006! But this is also a time of reflection on the past year and anticipation of even more adventures in the coming year.

You, the participants of HST have become an important part of my life. Everyday when I am home I look forward to seeing new pics, hearing about past trips, learning new tricks and about new gear. I love the discussions despite sometimes getting exasperated. To all who participate my heartfelt thanks! Special thanks to Eric who is responsible for the creation of HST and somehow managing to herd this unruly flock! I have grown to respect the adventurousness of such posters as Crosscountry, RoguePhotonic, and Wandering Daisy and have enjoyed the company and friendship of markskor (one can only wonder how he could put up with me for almost 40 days this year!), rlown, tehipitetom, giantbrookie, and maverick. I owe a small but important debt to troutdog59 that will become clear to all if I ever get around to my TRs for the past spring, summer and fall. Thru HST I was able to reconnect with gdurkee.

My thoughts are with Quentinc and his family. I marveled at his go for it attitude. Please, all of us should use this sad event to reflect on our philosophy of backcountry travel and communication. Most of us disdain the use of communication devices as a backup for when we are in trouble. However It is clear that given the availability of devices capable of either tracking or sending on demand ok messages that we have the ability to aid searchers who will search whether or not we wish them to do so. Unsuccessful and unresolved searches are incredibly stressful, not only on families but on the searchers. As a searcher you always worry that you might have missed something. I think we owe them a better chance to succeed, not for ourselves but for those who will be risking their lives to come to our aid.

I am also missing maverick. His sage commentary and beautiful photos will be missed on the forum though I will still be communicating with him on a regular basis.

This year brought wonderful adventures in four states and one Canadian province. Fish caught in 3 states and one Canadian Province, visits to about 50 backcountry lakes and fishing most of them. It also involved “dodging the bullet” by getting a coronary artery opened up before a heart attack occurred. In turn I was motivated to continue my exercise regime and improve my diet and hope soon to get off some of my prescriptions. I was able to spend 4 weeks volunteering my labor (actually playing with a chainsaw) at Holden Village in the North Cascades as well as spending almost every Saturday when at home working at Kathy’s Church (I would never join anything that would have me) cutting and splitting firewood or working in the community garden. Somehow I managed to spend at least 3 weeks with each of my grandchildren and the best blessing of all I have a wife that puts up with a 15 year old mind in a 65 year old body!

If the coming year is half as good as the past I will be lucky indeed.

Finally I am writing this the day following an incredible tragedy—the senseless killing of over 28 people. Maybe we all need to pay attention to our neighbors, friends, and acquaintances—maybe even a stranger. Maybe we need to reach out—either to help or for help.

May all of you be imbued with the Christmas Spirit and best wishes for an adventurous new year.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Christmas Greeting

Post by Cross Country »

Well-written and relevant. Thank you.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Thank you Mike. I enjoy your posts, you have an excellent way of sharing your knowledge and opinions balanced by openmindedness and common sense.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Maddog61
Topix Acquainted

Post by Maddog61 »

Thank you Mike. Merry Christmas.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Merry Christmas Mike.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks Mike. Merry Christmas
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Thanks Mike. Merry Christmas and Happy (adventurous) New Year.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

You not only bring a depth of knowlege, willingness to share to High Sierra Topix, but a good heart as well. Merry Christmas Mike.

Richard Long