Mildred lake help

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Mildred lake help

Post by overheadx2 »

Thinking of taking my brothers girls (11 and 8) on an easy trip this summer when they come over from Hawaii. I was looking at lake Mildred. Seems to be good choice, below 9600 ft, off the beaten path in Yosemite. Any one been up there? Fishing? xc conditions? Phil
Last edited by overheadx2 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sunrise lakes help

Post by SweetSierra »

I don't know Lake M in this area (what lake are you referring to?) but I know the Sunrise Lakes and they are a good destination for first-time backpackers. My first backpack was to Sunrise Lakes. Low mileage, a little bit of elevation gain to make it interesting, and day hikes to the (now closed) Sunrise High Sierra Camp area or areas south toward Cloud's Rest. I can't speak to the fishing or the X-C in this area.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Re: Mildred lakes help

Post by overheadx2 »

I was referring to Mildred lake. I have already gotten some info from a search. Just looking for some first hand knowledge. I figure I'll go and if we need to stop, we'll just camp at a lake closer. The girls are pretty rugged, so I'm pretty sure they can do it.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: Mildred lake help

Post by balzaccom »

From the topo, it looks like your best bet is going to Middle Sunrise first, then traversing over to Mildred, crossing Mildred Creek (?) and going up the lesser slopes west of the creek. If you find a trip report on this...we'd all like to see it!

On the topo, that looks possible, but bear in mind that a single ten-foot ledge can stop you in your tracks. And that cross country travel generally takes twice as long to cover the same mileage as on the trail. The other thing you should remember is that going up granite is always easier and safer than going down. Don't get up something you can't get back down again!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

I appreciate the thoughts. Kind of why I was looking for some first hand info. It seems easy enough and looks like a lot of climbers use it as a back way down from tenaya (?) peak. I certainly wouldn't push it with the kids, but I'm assuming there is a unofficial trail up there.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

looks like granite slabs. Not so much a trail as a big granite ramp that leads in the more or less right direction.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Post by snusmumriken »

Mildred lake, nice choice. Less people than nearby Sunrise, although not quite as dramatic scenery.
The trailhead and permit is Sunrise which is a popular one, reserve early.
Two ways to get there.
1. The trail from the Sunrise trailhead at western end of Tenaya for less than a mile, then follow the creek that comes out of Mildred to the lake. Haven't personally gone this way so I can't vouch for how difficult.
2. Same trailhead but continue on trail for about three miles until middle Sunrise lake.
Mildred is cross country from here, about a mile, scampering over rocks. This is the way I have gone in the past. The nice thing about going this way is that you can always decide that the cross country portion is too much for the kids and go back and camp at middle Sunrise lake.
Neither option has a use trail so you have to be comfortable taking the kids true cross country.

I know nothing about fishing, so no info there.
Have fun!
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Thanks, that was the plan. Middle sunrise or keep going and try for Mildred. My main thought was to get away from the crowd with a easy hike and still let them see Yosemite. Being the first hike for the youngest, having a small fire and some smores might just make it fun enough to do again.
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by tomba »

You could go to Mildred Lake this way roughly following a ridge that leads to Tenaya Pk.
Another relevant route in the vicinity.
See viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7347" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more details.

Frozen Mildred Lake (click for a larger image).
IMG_5121-mildred-lk-small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Mildred is a nice place. The cross country is easy walking over slabs. The lake is supposed to have small, stunted brookies. Oddly enough, when I ran (literally) to the lake with my brother on the way down from a Cloud's Rest dayhike, I struck out and saw little sign of fish. In other words it offers much more secluded camping than the Sunrises but fishing quality is not too good.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;