Alta Peak Mid-December?

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Stevendanger75
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Alta Peak Mid-December?

Post by Stevendanger75 »

Hi all,

I'm planning on getting one last hike in before the heavy snows set in, and I was thinking Alta Peak. From the Alta Peak Webcam, it looks like only the very top is covered in a light dusting of snow, however I read a TR from 23NOV that said knee deep snow was imminent towards the top.

http://www.kaweahcommonwealth.com/netcam/netcam.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With this amount of snow, do you think I would be able to follow the traditional trail from Wolverton - prather gap - southern edge of tharp's rock - summit?

Or would this amount of snow require me to take a detour? It doesnt look like there is much snow, and therefore i'm not that concerned about avalanche danger, but obviously I will be vigilant.

Thank you,

Bryan
KathyW
Founding Member

Re: Alta Peak Mid-December?

Post by KathyW »

It all depends on the snow level. If the trail is covered with snow after Panther Gap, you might want to stay higher than the trail between Panther Gap and Mehrten Meadow because the trail side-hills through that section and it can be pretty dangerous if icy. We did the hike to Alta Peak once in late November and were able to follow the trail through that section because there was only a small amount of snow. Another time I did the trek to Alta Peak in April and that section scared me. I had crampons and an axe, but that section was icy and it would be pretty nasty if I fell. I moved up above the trail was and it was pretty easy and safe to just roll along in the snow once I was up higher than the trail and not side-hilling on the steep section where the trail is. This map shows which way I went when the trail didn't work for me:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/California ... p&lb=1&s=A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be careful out there this time of year. It's not like in the spring when the snow is consolidated - it's more dangerous.
Stevendanger75
Topix Acquainted

Re: Alta Peak Mid-December?

Post by Stevendanger75 »

Kathy-

I appreciate the reply, unfortunately I didn't see it until today, AFTER my return.

We were able to summit, barely, and like you said, the conditions were darn icy. There was no trail at all, so I had a grand time wading through some new snow.

We were able to manage without crampons, though they would have been extremely helpful. It was necessary to carve steps near the top, which my axe was able to do with relative ease.

V/R

Bryan