Mt Russell (14,086') - 3 day backpack

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

SN...Really beautiful exciting pictures. You and Snowdude did such an awesome job taking pictures of the route you took to show everyone. I have looked at soooo many pictures of this route from so many people..they all show it all so different. Yours are great as you really captured what it is really like.
As much as I have been so fascinated with this peak..Seeing your pictures of it makes me really think if I should even try Russell..the granite looks to be that nice sticky stuff which is good..but I don't know how I would handle that exposure.
I like the butt hiking & wall hugging :nod: ..as im sure I would have been doing that too. It looks like you two were mostly on the right side Tulainyo side going up?

What a fantastic day this must have been for the two of you! Congratulations :D
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Day 3 of 3: Back to Whitney Portal via the slabs above Lower Boy Scout Lake
Photos: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/553366110WrybpS

It was a short day so we took our time packing, and enjoyed our quiet little campsite. Doug Sr told us about a route by the slabs above LBSL, so we tried it. Fun route coming down, probably easier with daypacks. The burgers and beer were awesome, and while waiting for showers we met Rosabella!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Trekker, :D :D :D My bottom was glued to the rock walls while SnowDude looked for the safest way to go. Then I would follow to where he was. So we both had time to take photos.

MiT, Thanks! The granite had good hand holds. I've just turned into a big chicken lately. :crybaby: I was like an overprotective mother with SnowDude . . . constantly telling him to 'be careful'. :\ It was fun class 3, but that exposure was just plain gnarly! :eek: Yes, we were on the north side of the ridge. Yes, it was a big accomplishment, after backing out 2 years ago. Feels good to get it, finally! \:D/ \:D/
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ridgeline
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by ridgeline »

Wanted to know the hiking time because I will be moving slow on this one, butt drag, scooting and wall hugging, hopefully not all at the same time. Ask Scott if he wants to lead again, dinner of his choice anywhere.
wingding

Post by wingding »

I doubt if I'll be moving real fast along that ridge when I give it a try. I might go check out the route on the 9th of September and give Carillon a try.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Another Wow! Snow Nymph. Great images from a great place. I too hope to get up there, unfortunately it's looking like next year. I always enjoy seeing your photos.
Kerstin
Topix Acquainted

Post by Kerstin »

Wow! What a great trip report! Wonderful photos. Very inspiring! :D