Help for 2013 trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Kodiak
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Help for 2013 trip

Post by Kodiak »

Hello all. I am new to the forum with this being my first post. I'm not sure if "The Campfire" is the best place for my post and I'm still trying to firgure out how to navigate the site and send posts, I guess I'll learn.

I am new to backpacking 2013 will be my 3rd year in a row making a trip. I did two trips over 15 yrs ago but I was young. I am looking for a trail of 10 to 12 miles round trip with multiple lakes (if possible) to fish where campfires are permitted but are not heavily traveled. I usually go during the week to miss the crowds since what I love most about backpacking is the solitude and being alone with nature. I am the guy who follows the rules and do my best to follow the leave no trace idea. I have been to Dinkey Lakes and Jennie Lake in 2012 and had a great experience. Both times we were the only ones staying overnight with only a couple of folks passing through over a 4 day trip. I would appreciate any input on good lake trail. Thanks in advance.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Help for 2013 trip

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Since the nature of your post is on backpacking it can go in that section of the forum. The campfire is really and "offtopic" talk about anything sort of place. That being said welcome to the forum!

The criteria you laid out is specific so it can be narrowed it down. The only other details that would help is does it matter how much climbing you have to do in that 5-6 miles? Also is it better for you to be further North or more South?
Kodiak
Topix Newbie

Post by Kodiak »

Thanks for the response. I would say anything south of Emigrant would be ideal. The climb is not really an issue. Just have to rest more or use pure will to press on.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

No offense intended but it is hard to "leave no trace" when you are having a campfire. Learn to live without one as they are terribly messy and no matter how hard you try they do leave more than just a trace.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I can't think of allot of places that fall under that set of conditions since I don't do allot of fishing myself. If you went to Echo Lake South of Tuolumne it's about 6 miles, you can have a fire and it has some big enough to eat fish. You will also pass other lakes on the way. The last bit to it is cross country but it's extremely easy.

Getting away from people in that area is no easy task though. Your sure to see allot of them until you leave the trail.

Maybe something like the Devil's Bathtub North of Lake Edison.

Honestly I think you should pull out a ton of maps and start looking around. Most of the places I have gone to that's pretty much what I did. Especially when I started out.
cherron
Topix Acquainted

Post by cherron »

I wasn't clear if you preferred east or west side of the Sierras. Although it is hard to miss all the crowds, Mammoth Lakes area is nice for several reasons. There are lots of lakes within your hiking distance, it is easy to get to, elevation gain is not great so not as much acclimation needed. I wasn't clear if you preferred east or west side of the Sierras. Also the Cottowood Lakes area, south of Whitney. You can make a loop over New Army Pass and circle back around to Chicken Springs Lake. This is a nice three day trip, but may exceed your mileage. I agree with above comment, pick an area of interest and then start looking at the maps and trail guides. Part of the fun is in the planning (for me anyway!)! Enjoy!
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Welcome to the board, Kodiac.

If you refer to the thread below, they folks here will be better able to help you out.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have a location in mind, please use the board search feature---lots of great TRs to read.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Why do you need to be south of EMigrant? That's an ideal place for this kind of trip---and we have quite a few suggestions for that area on our website. BUt if you want to stay south of there, look at the Ansel Adams Wilderness (Granite Creek/Fernandez trailheads lead to some lovely lakes) or the John Muir WIlderness (Take a look at the Graveyard Lakes area out of Lake Thomas Edison).

But both of those drives will take a long time on tiny roads...And if you head north on 99, you'll be turning right on 120 before you know it!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Some suggestions starting on the East Side:

1.Cottonwood Lakes Trail
2.Kearsarge Pass Trail
3.Big Pine Creek North Fork Trail
3.Bishop Pass Trail
4.Sabrina Lake Trail
5.Little Lakes Valley Trail from Mosquito Flats
6.Saddlebag Lake Trail
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Kodiak, if you want a camp fire, you'll have to camp below 10,000 feet, which is generally the altitude below which fires are allowed (some locales are more restrictive). So a west-side approach might make more sense. Can you narrow your geographic preferences down a little more? The Sierra is a great big place!

Mike