Atta boys for the older hikers

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hikingfamily

Atta boys for the older hikers

Post by Hikingfamily »

So, all summer as we peaked another pass (we went over 11 passes this summer as a family), there would be a literal cheerleading section on top, cheering our kids on. It was so fun to experience the camaraderie and community that is built with shared experiences on a trail.

BUT...truly, I was most impressed with all the older folks we encountered. Each one of these people had stories that they had to overcome to be out there: bummed knees, bad backs, knee surgery...one guy had 5 stents in his body....previous scary falls that resulted in broken legs and a need to call search and rescue...

That takes courage!

One lady was in her 80s that we passed half way through our trip a few years ago. We were on a 35 mile 2 night trip with our 7 and 9 year old. She looked at us and said, "now don't tell me that I inspire you" (how could she not inspire me but I refrained) and then she bent down, and looked at my little girl in the eye and said, "but you, little girlie, YOU inspire me!"

So, for all of you that push through previous trials and still venture on, I salute you!

Keep on trekking! =D>
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Atta boys for the older hikers

Post by East Side Hiker »

Its a simple matter - the older you get, the slower you go; you just keep going. The better you pack your pack. The less you need. The more experienced you are. At 59, I can't even run very far anymore, but I can ride my mountain bike 20 miles and I hiked into Evolution Valley last year (didn't do much but car camp this year...).
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Post by whrdafamI? »

It seems as if Hikingfamily has left us. Not a surprise after the less than warm welcome she received. Really to bad as not everyone writes in the same style.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

Met a guy who was 65 heading up Pine Creek and heading to the Bear Creek drainage. He said it was like his 25th time up that pass. He was not going all that slow. He was careful to pack no more than 30 lbs.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Flux

65 does not count as old! ;) Except when we work it to our advantage. :D

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Lett
Topix Novice

Post by Lett »

65 is damn near spring chicken territory. :moon:
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

Pop on his last backpack (seven days) at age 89.
Scan-120322-0001-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

The most popular trailhead for over 70 seniors I've noticed the last couple decades tends to be Rock Creek. Arguably the easiest access to the high country along the Eastern Sierra.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

I would like to say that I believe that no one should talk about bp at 60, or 65, or 70, or more, until they are that age. Just because you know someone at an age doesn't mean you understand. I mean no disrespect to John, but in reference to "Pop" (89yo) I would love to read his entry, but not John's, or about why "Pop" can't write an entry. Also, I would throughly enjoy reading entries about bp from someone over 70, but not someone who knows them. However, to be impressed I would need to read about several people bp (backpacking) over the age of 70. Jack LaLanne did, in fact exist, but he was an extreme example. The exception DOES NOT prove anything apart (a little Spanish syntax), from that there are exceptions. There are bpers in the Sierra and there are scholars. There are some crossovers. GB is our most notable example. He doesn't like me, but I like him. I've gotten off the subject, but one should discover that interesting, intelligent people (almost everyone hates the condescending ones), digress. Next summer at 70 I want to take a trip (or 2), after 7 major surguries ( including heart bypass surgery). I might need some help, not a lot of help, just a little (as in, some company).

Here's a picture of me taken on Goat Crest (above Kid Lakes) over 40 years ago. This pic was taken 18 years after my 1st backpacking trip. I don't have pics of the trip from when I was 11yo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

yep, braggin' on my Pop, no disrespect taken. He can't write 'cause he died of malignant melanoma two years after that picture was taken (wear your sunscreen!). Even if he hadn't, I can pretty much guarantee he wouldn't be bothered with writing about it here, he never had much time for socializing.

I had the good luck to backpack with him yearly for 40 of his 70 backpacking years and learned quite a lot from him. But yes, if I were to tell his story, it would be my story of him, not his story eh?

Yes, he was exceptional. Take it for what it's worth; most people I show this photo to find it inspirational.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail