Backpacking with kids: 215 miles with our 9 and 11 year old

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hikingfamily

Re: Backpacking with kids: 215 miles with our 9 and 11 year old

Post by Hikingfamily »

Thank you Jim, Nora, Wes, and Giantbrookie for posting!

SO inspiring! Maybe someday we will all meet on the trail with our happy kids in tow!

Way to go!

If more families did what you are doing I am convinced our families would be stronger!

Thank you for your encouraging posts!

May others be inspired to bring their kids along!

Julie
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by tim »

At this time of year, I just wanted to add that I also give thanks for all the special times I've had with my kids on the trail, showing them what I love about the mountains. I know that in a few years they will be off doing their own things, but I hope I've shown them enough that they will follow in my footsteps with their own kids one day.

On that note, looking back at some of my previous trip reports, this reply to my post on my Memorial Day weekend hike last May with my youngest son (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7702" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), brought tears to my eyes.
quentinc wrote:That's great that the kids were so hardy. I bet if there were Legos hidden along the trail, my 7 year old wouldn't have minded the conditions, but otherwise I'm not so sure. :)
Hikingfamily

Post by Hikingfamily »

Oneill 2012 summerimg_4023.JPG
Tim

You hit the nail on the head = our kids grow up so fast. I love spending all day with them in concentrated time on the trail. We have savored our kids' childhood by backpacking with them!

Julie

p.s. this picture is at Marie Lake, right before Selden Pass
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

here's a success story - Sierra did the PCT at age 9

http://www.sierrapct.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hikingfamily

Post by Hikingfamily »

Fishmonger

Thanks for the reply!! That's amazing!!

I am fairly confident our kids could do the PCT, but I am not so sure about me. I think I'd just get tired of trail life after that much time. I love it, but I miss connecting with people too much when on the trail for too long.

Way to go Sierra!!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

Hikingfamily wrote:Fishmonger

Thanks for the reply!! That's amazing!!

I am fairly confident our kids could do the PCT, but I am not so sure about me. I think I'd just get tired of trail life after that much time. I love it, but I miss connecting with people too much when on the trail for too long.

Way to go Sierra!!
I met Sierra when she turned 7 while on the Muir Trail in 2010. I was walking with my 12-year-old twins on their third JMT at the time. Each evening when we made camp, those three were full of energy when the adults were glad to sit down and cook some dinner and call it a day. I think that age is perfect for big adventures - they don't have the distractions older kids have and easily are willing to set aside a whole summer for an adventure. The older they get, the less likely they will have time or desire to do so.

Now at age 15, my kids have very little interest left in hiking. Too much too early, or the old "been there, done that" attitude. I'd love to do the PCT one of these days, but I doubt my kids have the motivation it takes to do that hike. To keep them interested in the outdoors, I had to shift focus on different things, such as skiing and mountain biking.

In the end, at their current age I wasn't even thinking of mountains and hiking either - it wasn't on my horizon until I was old enough to travel on my own.
Hikingfamily

Post by Hikingfamily »

Fishmonger,

Both my husband and I are high school teachers and I totally agree that the perfect ages to get kids out with you are pre-highschool years.

That's probably why a family we met this summer doing the JMT with their 17 year old daughter in tow blessed me so much! She CHOOSE to spend 200 plus miles with her family the summer before her Senior year! No texting, malls, or friends...and she looked happy!

Her family has adventured together since she was born and she told me that around 13 she started wanting to do other things, but she always came back to wanting to spend time with her parents on their many adventures.

It encouraged me!

But in general, taking a 9 and 11 year old was perfectly delightful as neither of them has a cell phone, FB page, email life, etc waiting for them making them ancy so they just loved it. They were stronger then me out there!

If we were ones to put the whole PCT in front of them, they'd be game. My daughter decided that next summer she wants to hike the PCT from Whitney to Oregon border. 400 plus miles! She was totally serious.

Way to go putting the time in when they were 12 and younger - your relationship is stronger for it and someday. they will most likely want to return to the trail with you!

Julie
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by East Side Hiker »

One of the best trip reports I've ever seen. Wow! An experience your kids will live with and will shape their lives. I am so impressed.