Help me name!

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Help me name!

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Most locations I need to come up with a name for a pass has fairly obvious choices but the one crossing the Black Divide has me guessing. The location is here.

Divide Pass is too vague. Way too many divides out there. Black Divide Pass seems too location unspecific.

Hester Pass?

Give me your ideas what this pass should be called since I am getting close to uploading the photos from it and they need names.
tomba
Topix Regular

Re: Help me name!

Post by tomba »

Crocodile Pass. The lake to the east on the map looks like a crocodile trying to eat a ridge branching off Black Divide.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

That map link does not have a mechanism like a cross hairs to indicate where on the map you are referring to. You need to describe it. Am guessing you are talking about climbing the rib nw of lake 11654 going over that 12800 peak. On the map it does not look like much of a pass but rather a steep class 2/3 scramble over a ridge that is otherwise class 3+ anywhere else.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Yeah I did not want to add a marker without a name but that is the location.

Your also right it is not much of a pass but more a ridge crossing. Either way I think this location needs a name even if pass is not in it such as Black Divide Crossing because there are not many ways across the Black Divide.

For now I have added the marker.
SandStorm
Topix Acquainted

Post by SandStorm »

Black Divide Crossing is pretty good. Maybe just Black Pass or Black Col. (Kind of a play on words.) Enchanted Pass sounds good and would continue the proud tradition of misnomers. Tough spot for a cut-and-dry name.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

The trouble is it isn't a pass or a Col. and considering other places such as Upper Basin Crossing I guess it works.

I need to get back to adding passes to the forum. I have been lazy. I have about a dozen more to do.
SandStorm
Topix Acquainted

Post by SandStorm »

I'm sticking by my story. How about we meet in the middle at Enchanted Crossing? Ha! :cool:

Just give it a name and get the pictures up already. :\ :D :p
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Lol I think Enchanted pass would work if it was a more direct access point to the Enchanted Gorge. It really doesn't matter to me though. That's why I said it can be put to a vote.

As for photos they are already up on my FlickR anyway.