storing food

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sleepy
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

storing food

Post by sleepy »

I am very excited to be leaving on Sunday to head to Kings Canyon. We are going to hike up to East and Reflection Lakes and base camp for 3 nights. My question is how to deal with food in our absence from base camp. Food and smellies will be stored in bear sacks, but how should we leave those? we will leave our large packs behind, all opened; but, should we keep tent open as well? Also, I understande fires are permitted at East Lake. Has anyone done this?
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: storing food

Post by The Other Tom »

sleepy wrote:I am very excited to be leaving on Sunday to head to Kings Canyon. We are going to hike up to East and Reflection Lakes and base camp for 3 nights. My question is how to deal with food in our absence from base camp. Food and smellies will be stored in bear sacks, but how should we leave those? we will leave our large packs behind, all opened; but, should we keep tent open as well? Also, I understande fires are permitted at East Lake. Has anyone done this?
When you say bear sack, do you mean the Ursack ? I'd leave them as I would overnight...tied up to a dead and down tree (not hanging). Personally, I would close the tent and my main pack to keep the bugs, etc out. Your mileage my vary....